Sunday, December 6, 2009

[Wo]men in Tights. Tight Tights.

It was a bit chilly for today's long run (27 degrees at the start), so I had to break out the spandex and lots of it. I never seem to dress exactly right for running in cold weather and either wear too much/want to strip naked by mile 2 or I come back with quads that look sunburned because they are so cold. To add to the pressure, I was running with a new buddy (only our 2nd run) for the first 5 miles and didn't want to turn into a gear Diva 2 miles in. I finally decided on Tights, long-sleeved spandex shirt with dri-fit short sleeve on top, a lightly lined windbreaker, and gloves. Oh, and of course the ever necessary iPOD, Garmin, sunglasses, and fuel-belt. I think my outfit weighed 5lbs on its own. Much to my chagrin, new running buddy had his tights on too (with shorts) and gloves, so I didn't feel so odd.

It never got above 35 the entire run, and neither did I. I felt tight for most of the run and even caught some wind during the back half just to make sure my legs were nice and tight for the finishing mile uphill. The Good news is that I think I geared up appropriately and I have no major gear issues to report, though I blame my slowness today on my extra 5 lbs. Nonetheless, a 15 miler is in the books.

Also, I would be remiss if I did not mention that its down to 69 days till the big day. I am pleased with the distances I am hitting, but still need to work on speed. I think running more than once a week will help this (damn you school work). I am running a hilly route for my long runs and hope this will translate to a little extra boost when I hit the flat course on race day!
Hey, a girl can hope, can't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...