Friday, January 29, 2010

Fuelin' up Friday

Greetings and Happy Friday to all!
As I eluded to in Sunday's post, fueling did not go well for Saturday's long run and I definitely felt my gears starting to grind by the end of it. All I managed to consume was 1/2 a Tri-Berry Gu and 2 cran-razz cliffshot blocks. The thick consistency of Gu is most of my problem. I just don't understand how people can choke down a mouth full of vaseline mid-run?! I try to take them like shots complete with gatorade chaser, but usually end up giving up half way through. I had left a pack of cliff shot blocks on the hood of the car because they are so bulky to carry but I wanted them available just in case (thank heavens). I don't get much of a kick from cliff shot blocks, but I know they will go down ok and are better than nothing.

I headed over to Big Peach on Monday and the girls there were super helpful and understanding. They recommended I try some of the powerbar gels because they are much more liquidy (except for the chocolate flavor for some odd reason). I picked out a Double Latte and I am excited to try it this weekend. It has 27g of carbs and 50mg of caffeine so that should really put a boost in a my giddy up. They also recommended to try some of the Hammer gels because they have a wide variety of flavors (powerbar has limited flavors) and are made with real ingredients, not just chemicals. I picked out apple-cinnamon because I was told it 'tastes like pie filling' and who doesn't like pie? It contains 23g of carbs and no caffeine so it might be a good option as well. Now if they could only make a donut flavor.

Odd random tidbit for the day: Did you know that the Cliff Family of products also has a winery and farm? Me neither. I came across it today when I was getting links to blocks for you all. Anywho, they have a nice little organic Winery out in Napa (I feel a genius race idea coming on). Can anyone think of a better beverage to celebrate a good race?!

Hopefully fueling goes a little better this weekend. Happy weekend and running to all!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a Gu fan either, too thick. I stick with the more liquidy PowerBar gels and love 'em. Especially the Raspberry & Apple flavored ones. Yum, yum!!!

    Haven't tried Hammer gels though. You'll have to let me know how they work for you.

    Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...