Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Most Successful Polar Bear

Back in college I remember watching a Discovery Channel special on polar bears in which the narrator described the largest polar bear as "the most successful polar bear". He was referencing of course the polar bear's hunting and feeding skills, but my friend and I perked up and looked at each other. "So you mean the one that spend all his time pigging out and conserving calories is the most successful? I could get on board with this." From that point on whenever we ate a little too much or were a bit too lazy, we would simply declare we were the most successful polar bear and all seemed well again. This weekend I reclaimed the right to be called the most successful polar bear.

My polar bear behavior started after Saturday's long run. I managed to get in 19 miles in 3 hours (I promised to meet up with a friend after 3 hours). It was probably the longest solo run I have done in a while, so I am pleased with how it went. Physically I felt good and mentally I remained fairly focused (the guy who sings while riding his bicycle always distracts me). Fueling did not go so well and I only managed a half a Gu and 2 Cliffshot blocks during the entire run. I may have to head back to the drawing board on that one.

The post run fueling went extremely well. The chocolate chip pancakes that I had been dreaming of were delightful and complemented nicely by an afternoon of grazing/lounging in my sweats. My inner polar bear was still hungry this morning, so I rallied the troops and we headed over to Sublime Donuts. Oh heavens, does that place make me happy. I had the smores donut and the black & tan donut. I also sampled the cookies & cream, strawberries & cream (with fresh strawberries), and Atlanta cream that my friends purchased. All were excellent and I highly recommend a visit if you are ever in the ATL. I made the mistake of sitting facing the wall of donuts, so by the time we were ready to leave, I was ready for round three. After much contemplation (and patience from the owner as I asked about every donut) I picked out the chocolate banana fritter for later. Needless to say, I am sporting the baggy sweatpants and the title of most successful polar bear tonight.

Have a Good week!

2 comments:

  1. I love the successful polar bear! LOL!

    19 miles solo! That is great but girl, you have got to fuel more than that!!!!!!! You don't want to hit the wall at Birmingham from lack of fuel!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...