Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Marathoning Limbo

So I finally got around to unpacking and reorganizing after Birmingham. This included the ceremonial take-down of my training program from the fridge:
Please ignore the plethora of other fridge clutter.
Even though I didn't follow it perfectly or even closely, it served as a great reminder and motivator every time I passed by (which is often because I hang in the kitchen a lot). But now my fridge is naked and I am in need of a new carrot so to speak. I really want to build on my Birmingham energy and sign up for another marathon, but my life is a little hectic for the next few months (I am hopefully finishing grad school in May and my job ends around the same time). Since I don't know where I will be living in 4 months (scary and exciting) its a little hard to plan for any races after May. So now I am in marathoning limbo. Probably a good time to work on the new crop of goals for the marathon (strength and pace) and some old favorites (bloody toes).

Anyways, can anyone recommend a good marathon training program? Do you all use training plans? I am determined to stick to a plan next time and I figured I would start looking around for one now. Any advice would be great!
Hope you are having a good week!

2 comments:

  1. I always like Hal Higdon. His plans are on the web. Do you have shorter races you could do nearby that would motivate you in the meantime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will gladly send you mine, my running coach put it together for me and I've loved it! Just shoot me an email if you're interested in taking a peek at it.

    In the meantime I would suggest coming up with a base maintenance plan for yourself to work off of. 2-3 runs during the week between 3-5 miles only and rotate long runs on Saturday between 8-12 miles to keep a solid base to jump back into marathon training once you know where you are going.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...