Saturday, June 22, 2013

Back from the great beyond

I'm back!  Remember me? 
Probably not, but that's ok. 
It's been almost three years since my last post.  A lot has changed, a lot has stayed the same, and there is a lot to catch up on.

Let's see, where did we last leave off......

Yes, so I was battling a vicious round of ITBS.  I ended up taking an extensive break from running to allow it to heal (6+ months).  I did a lot of cycling in the meantime, but it just wasn't the same as running.  Add to that some major life changes (moving, starting a new job, developing a new family unit, etc) and the running routine I had developed kind of didn't fit my new lifestyle.  It took a lot of time to figure out how to balance everything while trying to regain my fitness, a feat which on it's own seemed like climbing a mountain.  The love for running was still there, I just needed to find a way to rekindle the flame.
 Peachtree Road Race '12


So once I started to feel like I had my feet back under me, I started to add in a few races.  I wasn't always prepared for them, but they ended up being a good kick in the pants as well as a way to bring my love for running back.  Some were tons of fun and some were struggles to make it to the finish line (I'll provide some flashback recaps).  About a year ago, I started to really get my rhythm back and could see the difference in my race times and overall comfort while running.  In the end, it all brought me to where I am now.
It was too tempting.

And where is that exactly?

I'm still living in the ATL and enjoying the hills and humidity for all they have to offer.  I am about to embark on my first marathon training cycle since Birmingham 2010 and I am very excited to test myself once again.  I've been trying a lot of new things (more on that to come) and enjoy running for running.  There's so much to discuss.

Let's get started.
Go time.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back! When I had to go to cyclilng I completely fell in love and now running takes a back seat. But this is Vermont and I can run all year and not bike all year so running is still a major part of my fitness. Good luck with the marathon training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Congrats on your recent century ride!

      Delete
  2. That's exciting that you are training for a marathon. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to have you back. Which marathon are you aiming for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am running the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon in November. It's a small race in northern Georgia.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...