Sunday, July 21, 2013

Marathon training: warm up week

My marathon plan doesn't officially start until next week, but I decided to run week one this week as a bit of a jump start.
Popular running route? Maybe they are afraid of copy cats of this girl.

Monday: 4 miles easy on the treadmill.  My ankles and hips were a little tight from Saturday's trail run (nothing bad, just not use to moving like that), so I decided to keep it flat and predictable.

Tuesday: Cross training and weights. 20 min on the bike followed by squats, lunges, leg press and some upper body weights as well. 30 min of vacuuming.  With two 9 year olds (1 has paws and a tail) in my house, vacuuming is definitely a form of cardio.
One of the 9yos made me a logo!
Wednesday: 5 mile run home from work.  It was seriously hot and my route home from work is hilly, so I kept the pace light. When I left work it was 91 (feels like 96) with 51% humidity.  When I got home it looked like this:
Outlook not good.
I luckily arrived home before  the rain even though there was increasing thunder from mile 2 on.  Sadly, I forgot my keys at work and my phone died during the run, so I had to wait outside for the Jayhawk to come rescue me.

Thursday: 5 mile tempo run on the treadmill. It was one of those odd days in the gym where I got the last treadmill and then 10 minutes later I was the only one still on one.  I decided to take advantage and exceed the time limit. Yes, I am a rebel.

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 10 miles, LSD.  It was hot, but it's hot everywhere, so I won't dwell on it.

Goal of the week: (I've decided to have mini goals each week to keep me on task).  Set and share marathon goals.


Race day is in 16 weeks.

Begin.

How was your week?  When is your next big race?

10 comments:

  1. Awesome job. I am on week 3 of marathon training for MCM, but has to take almost two months off after my last one so I am starting way slower than I would like. Only got in an 8 miler for a long this week and you are right, it was HOT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been 3 years since my last full, so I know what you mean! I keep blaming the slow start on the heat!

      Delete
  2. Starting a week early is something I like. It gives you a little wiggle room if something comes up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It also gave me a week to remember how to schedule it all in!

      Delete
  3. Great job on the workouts. It has been hot here too meaning easy pace runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been trying hard to force myself to take it easy!

      Delete
  4. Great job on your workouts! My runs lately have all been easy paced because it's so hot and humid. Yes, seems like it's hot hot hot everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hear the north is getting a break from the heat and I am super jealous. I just keep reminding myself the north will be jealous of us in January.

      Delete
  5. I love my treadmill runs! I think that my lack of pacing ability keeps me from racing and running outside. I don't think I could venture out into the heat and attempt to exercise, either. :P It sounds like you got a great jump start to your training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on loving the treadmill! I think that is amazing. I have learned it's a necessary evil. Found a way to work with it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...