Thursday, July 25, 2013

Paying it forward: Charity Running

Running give me so much in my life by challenging me both mentally and physically, I thought it would be nice to start a series of posts about ways to give back to the running community.  Up first: Charity Running!

Yesterday while I was procrastinating dutifully researching things on-line, I came across this article about how charity teams for the NYC Marathon are having trouble filling their slots this year.  To be honest, it shocked my socks off.  I ran NYC in 2007 with my brother and I am not shy to admit that it is my favorite race.  The crowds are so amazing, it is the closest I will ever feel to being a pro-runner.  On top of that, the course is a great display of all five boroughs with a picturesque finish in central park. In the past it has been quite challenging to get a bib through a charity team if you don't sign up early and I expected that this year would be no different given that the race was cancelled last year. Charity teams offer a great way to run the race if you get shut out in the lottery.
Running together again: After the Beach to Beacon
My brother and I both actually got into the race through the lottery on our first try (a statistical anomaly that my brother was counting on not happening as he is not a runner) and we decided to join a charity team as well.  NYC was my brother's first marathon and he thought joining a charity team would give him added motivation and accountability while he trained, and it would add to the whole experience overall.  So we joined the Autism Speaks team.
The experience was awesome.  Being apart of a team of people with a similar goal (beyond just finishing the race) was great. Our teammates stories were inspirational and the support of the organization was superb.  Throughout training, my brother and I both continually received support from our family and friends as they donated to our fundraising, sent us notes of encouragement, and took bets on which one of us would win.

If the fundraising goals of the bigger races scare you (many require runners to raise $3000-4000 for a guaranteed bib), there are many other ways to be a charity runner.  Many marathons have specific charities that are beneficiaries of the race and allow you to raise what you can.  Additionally, many local charities like to have runners run for them as it raises awareness and funds for their organization in their community.  Check race websites and with local charities that interest you to find out what programs are available.  It's always an option to partner with a charity to create your own team at a race and it allows you to share the benefits of all your hard work during training.

Have you ever run a charity race?  What are some of your best fundraising tips?

4 comments:

  1. I have not run a charity race. Well not where I had to raise a lot of money or a certain amount. I have raised money for races but the amount was up to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many different ways to do it and that is what is great about it!

      Delete
  2. I've raised money using races for co-workers in need. Make it personal for you and those donating money and the goal will be shattered in a very good way.
    Thanks for what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. The more passionate you are about what you are raising money for the better. Your requests for support will be much more genuine and heartfelt. Congrats on all the fundraising you do! It's hard work but incredibly rewarding.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...