Friday, August 23, 2013

Fuelin' up Friday: ENERGYbits

I was recently approached by ENERGYbits and asked if I would like to sample their product.  Given all the things I've heard about them and my need to find a fueling option that works for me, I  was super curious to try them.

For those of you who aren't familiar with them, ENERGYbits are tablets made of 100% spirulina algae. They are 100% organic and packed with vitamins and nutrients. They are 64% protein, 19% carbs (by my math that is just under 1.5g per 30 tabs) and sugarfree. I was excited to try a natural product in my fueling routine.
From their website.
ENERGYbits recommends using them daily and before any endurance event.  I used them two separate times before my long runs.  The first long run was kind of a bust because it was my 12 miler that felt like I was in an inferno.  So I didn't draw any conclusions about the bits, good or bad, from the that run.  The second long run was this past weekend's 10 miler, a mere 30 degrees cooler than inferno day. Again, the weather was a bit of an anomaly, but here is my review.

Taste: Both times I swallowed all the bits with a full glass of water 30 minutes prior to my runs, so taste wasn't a major factor.  You can chew them, but the company recommends swallowing at first. They also recommend taking 30-40 bits before a run (I took 30 both times) and I found it a bit weird to swallow 30 tablets at a time.  I suppose this is something I could get use to over time.

From their website.
During run:  I didn't feel any specific boost from the bits, but that is kind of the point.  With no sugar or caffeine, they are designed to be consistent energy. I didn't take extra bits with me on the run because I wasn't sure if I would feel like swallowing more tablets and their recommendations are listed as daily.  I did take a few sportbeans.

Post run: As always, I was hungry.  I did feel able to eat right away which is often hard for me after a long run or hard effort.  The sugarfree bits did not bother my stomach and allowed me to be able to eat at the end of my runs which is an important part of recovery.

Cost: ENERGYbits can be purchased in 1000 tablet packages for $115.  That works out to about $3.25 per 30 tablet serving. 

Other Products: RECOVERYbits, SKINNYbits, and VITALITYbits.

Summary:  For me ENERGYbits would make a good addition to my daily nutrition. They do not bother my stomach and provide extra dose of vitamins and minerals from a natural food source. As far as being a fuel for long runs, I think I would still need to use them in combination with another product. With less than 1.5g of carbohydrates per 30 tabs, I would not be able to fuel well enough on only bits for a full marathon. I do like the product and think that RECOVERYbits might be a good option for me.

Have you tried any new fuels lately? Have you tried algae as a food source?

Full Disclosure: I received a sample of EnergyBits from the company for free.  No other compensation was received. All opinions expressed in the post are mine.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE ENERGYbits! I notice a big increase in my endurance, and I personally feel full after my runs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you take additional bits while running or just at the start?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...