Friday, August 9, 2013

Fuelin' Up Friday: Salted Caramel Gu

Energy gels and I have a rocky relationship.  Conceptually, I really want to be able to use them. They are portable, come in a million flavors, balanced, and available everywhere. But in my reality, the texture and consistency has always been a challenge for me. However, when I heard about the newest flavor from Gu, Salted Caramel, I knew it was time to give it another try.
I was hoping the Yeti would protect me from the bears.
You see, I love salted caramel.  I love it so much, I often make it from scratch and send it out as Christmas presents. It's like Gu sat around and thought about what would make me try gels again.  Salted Caramel is supposed to be guey, which I was hoping that would make me forget I was eating a gel. On top of that, there is a Yeti on the package, so really, what's not to love?
Getting ready to enjoy Cades Cove in Great Smoky Mountains National Park without cars!
When I went out shoe shopping last week, I made sure to pick some up.  The girl at my local running store said that they all tried it the day before when they came in and they were really good. I bought two and gave one to the Jayhawk.  He recently tried energy gels for the first time and doesn't seem to mind them.  He ate his the very next day on his long run and came home to tell me "It tasted like awesome and went down like butter".  I think he is hooked.  I didn't get to take mine until my longish run this week.  It just so happens that it was while we were on vacation in the smokies and on a fabulous run through Cades Cove (but I'll recap that later with lots of photos).

Taste: Gu got it. Spot on Salted Caramel.  By far the best flavor energy gel I have tasted so far.

Consistency: Classic Gu consistency. I struggled.  Big time. I only made it half way through before gagging on the consistency.

Overall: Good.  I still had trouble with the consistency, but for me I hope it is more mental at this point.  The taste was great and the lightly caffeinated formula gave me a little boost.  I definitely need to work on my gel strategy a bit, but maybe I have found my gateway Gu. I think I need to take the whole thing before I think about what I am doing. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Do you take gels?  Do you take the whole thing at once and then wash it down or do you take it in 'bites'?

8 comments:

  1. Have you tried putting it in your sports bra so it will melt a little bit and be more liquidy as opposed to chewy? You totally sold me on the flavor though, I love a salted caramel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I will try that out. My ladies are small, so there is plenty of space in my sportsbra for other stuff.

      Delete
  2. That sounds great! I love salted caramel too! I usually use the vanilla flavor, which tastes a little bit like cake frosting to me... although I still struggle to get it all down at once ,and then wash it down with some water... yuck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try vanilla. It's not a pretty scene when I take gu. I am probably overthinking it at this point!

      Delete
  3. I have gotten so I like gels and don't mind the consistency any more. Salted caramel sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, maybe I just nee more practice!

      Delete
  4. I bought this flavor for the first time yesterday and I'm looking forward to trying it. I usually take one whole gel at once, but some people like to spread them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. I think I just need to take the whole thing and quickly wash it down with water. Enjoy!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...