Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Hip Update and Shoe Shopping!

So it's been over 3 week since I came clean about my foot trouble which is mostly caused by my hips.  I had three main things I was working on, and here is an update on how they are going.
  1. Alleviate pain.  It's greatly reduced.  It's not gone, but we are moving in the right direction. I definitely see a difference on days I stretch well, so I think all my changes will pay off as long as I remain consistent.
  2. Alter workouts: I think I've been doing great at this one.  All my mid-week runs have been on the TM and I have not done speed work.  Moderate, flat runs minimize the foot pain.  I have been running outside for my weekly longruns, but I have altered my course to make it as flat as possible in Atlanta (it is harder than you think to find flat ground around here). 
  3. Prevent future issues.  I've been doing my hip strengthening exercise several times per week and I definitely notice and difference between the two hips and in my comfort in some of the motions. Soon I will have the strongest hips around and can fulfill my dream of being a Hula dancer.
In addition, I went shoe shopping (an important runner's holiday).  My old sneakers which were super old when I bought the troublesome sneakers, had now reached wicked old stage.  After much discussion with the salesgirl, I played it safe and got the updated version of my wicked old sneakers.  Behold the Asics Gel Cumulus 15.
Look at their snappy new color!  How could I not get them.
 The very first run I did with them was my Cades Cove run and I felt comfortable the whole time.  I have done all my runs since then in them and things are going well.
Just so happy.
Do you have any troublesome spots that you focus on during stretching and strengthening?

10 comments:

  1. Glad the hip is starting to feel better. I had to really change my training with the hamstring and cut out speed and hills, it is tough :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is tough to find new routes and play it conservative!

      Delete
  2. I felt like you were writing about my ailments! Foot pain caused by a weak hip for me too. It's crazy how strengthening has alleviated the pain instantly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a change in shoes and some strength work have done wonders! Glad to hear you are doing better too!

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain! I have been struggling with left hip pain since late May. I have been on steroids, ice, ibuprofen, and now I do lots of stretching and strength exercise. It has improved but it' slow. Sometimes it's still pretty tender after a long run, but recovery is getting quicker now. Keep at it! I purchased new shoes when this started and I do believe it helped. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear your hip pain has been going on for so long! Hope the new shoes alleviate some of the trouble! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Feet and hips. And I have not been good about stretching lately and I feel it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you know how much better quality stretching makes you feel, you really notice it when you forget it.

      Delete
  5. I have crazy glute issues and pretty much live by my stretching, strengthening, and foam rolling routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pain in the butt! (Sorry, had to.) Glad to hear that you have found something that works.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...