Sunday, August 11, 2013

Marathon Training: Week #3

Checking out the Chimney Tops from the road.  View from the top.
This week's challenge was fitting in some workouts while on vacation with the Jayhawk's family in the Great Smoky Mountains.  I had no gym access and I managed 2 picturesque workouts before I had to head back to the city early for work commitments.
Enjoying the view from the top of the Chimney Tops.
Sunday: 4 mile hike with 1350ft elevation gain up to the Chimney Tops. It was a good workout and I felt no issues with my foot or hip!
The Jayhawk scaling the tops. Rock staircase on the way up.
Monday: Tubing, which turned out to be a serious core workout.  The river was low and I think I rode the whole time in a half crunch because I was afraid of breaking my tailbone. Obviously they haven't had the rainy summer that we have in GA.
At the end of the float. That green tube is me.
Tuesday: Rest day. Many smores were consumed to celebrate rest day.

Wednesday: 7.5 miles through Cades Cove.  They close the loop to cars until 10am on Saturdays and Wednesdays.  Nothing like a peaceful morning run through a National Park. It was so pretty and amazing, I'm going to do a separate post about it. Truly one of my favorite runs of all time.
Excited at the start of the run! Will I be chased by bears? Eaten by a wild hog?
Thursday: 3.1 miles on the treadmill.  Back in the big city.

Friday: Rest Day

Saturday: 12 miles (instead of 14).  The heat and humidity really bothered me and I ended up heading home because I was running out of water.  Just not my day, but 12 in the books. The good news is that I didn't have much foot trouble (silver lining?).

Injury report:  I have lost some skin, ok a lot of skin, off two toes.  I spare you the pictures, but I have no pain, just naked looking toes.

Mini goal for next week: Continue to work on new fueling option.  Starting to think outside the box.

13 weeks until race day! As a bit of added excitement, Chickamauga added a 5k 100% for charity, so the Jayhawk will be joining me on race day!

How was your week? Any races or fun runs?

14 comments:

  1. Your vacation looks amazing!!! Enjoy!

    http://run4life262.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was nice to have a little break.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures and a great way to still manage your workouts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Somehow it's easier to fit runs in when they are pretty!

      Delete
  3. I love that they close the road until 10 twice a week. Wednesday seems an odd day for it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great idea that they do it. There were quite a few cyclists out there!

      Delete
  4. Pretty pictures! Working out while out of town is so hard but congrats sounds like you kicked butt.
    Glad to know somebody else had a hard time with the hills in Buckhead...wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ug, those Buckhead hills. I totally wasn't expecting it in that race!

      Delete
  5. That's awesome that they close the roads. Beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It makes a cool opportunity to explore the park.

      Delete
  6. I went hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains years ago and I loved it! We saw a bear and her cub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how out and about they are. We say a momma and 3 cubs!

      Delete
  7. Looks gorgeous! And good point you brought up about weather conditions and how it can impact a long run. I totally threw the warm and muggy day out of my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Definitely. I notice it a ton here in the summer. Somedays, I just get through it because the heat is tough!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...