Sunday, August 25, 2013

Marathon Training Week #5

I learned this week that Atlanta is 206% normal rainfall for the past 30 days. In honor of that, I've changed my FB relationship status to "going steady with the Treadmill".

Monday: 4 miles on the treadmill. Felt a little tightness in my foot after Saturday's cool run (I got a little excited and finished strong).  Did extra stretching and foot rolling with the Monster's toy and felt much improved by morning.

Tuesday: Cross training and strength training. Including, but not limited to, bike riding, squats, lunges, hip strengthening, and arms.

Wednesday: 6 miles strong on the treadmill. Stretched well afterward and had no linger foot issues.

Thursday: 4 miles.  I felt sluggish and the gym was kind of hot, so I called it at 4.

Friday: Rest Day.  Attended (and excelled at really) an ice cream social. Those kids had nothing on me.
What is that? Is that the...sun?
Saturday: 16 miles.  I hadn't run this long since my last marathon.  Got a little worried when a black cat crossed the road in front of me during mile 1 and then the sun came out. Good news is that I never felt like I was on the struggling bus, but I never felt like I was killing it either.  Just kept marching along. I tried out a new route with some good climbs (5000ft of elevation change).  Did not excel at fueling and for the last 2 miles my thoughts revolved entirely around food (juice and popsicles) to the point where I almost texted the Jayhawk to see if he would pick some up.
Morning 16 miler and afternoon at the pool.  Perfect Saturday.
Sunday: 1.5 mile recovery walk with my Monster.  She likes to earn Charity Miles for the ASPCA.
Summer in Atlanta is ruff.
Next week: Busy running week!  Thank heavens for the 3 day weekend.

How was your week?

13 comments:

  1. I bet it felt great to be able to run 16 after having some lingering foot pain recently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the 16.
    I too would kill an ice cream social.
    Do they give age group awards for that? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Those kids didn't know what they had coming.

      Delete
  3. 16 miles is a looooong ways! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's longer than I remember it being!

      Delete
  4. I am SO jealous! A 16 mile run, yippee! Glad it went well. Funny about the black cat. Maybe it turned out to be good luck? Sucks about the treadmill. Last year I racked up hundreds of miles during our long and very cold winter. (I've prohibited winter from happening this year. It's going to be summer all year long. Wait, I think that actually happens in some parts of the country!) Cheers and happy running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I guess it might have been good luck because I finished in one piece! It's basically summer here all year long (though the true southerns would disagree). I just keep telling myself the heat will end.

      Delete
  5. Wow I am envious of you 16 miles. I can understand dealing with lingering pain. Congrats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There is still healing to be done, but much improved.

      Delete
  6. Great job on the 16 miler... Man it has been a long time since my last 16 miler. I run with my pup Bailey a lot so I need to learn more about the charity miles thing. It sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Definitely check out Charity Miles. I just did a new post about it, but email me if you have more questions!

      Delete
  7. Your monster looks just like my monster, right down to the purple leash! Congrats on the 16 miler, that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...