Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Paying it forward: Charity Miles

Running give me so much in my life by challenging me both mentally and physically, I thought it would be nice to start a series of posts about ways to give back to the running community. 

After my last post, I got a few questions about Charity Miles and I couldn't be happier to share more about it.  Honestly, it is such a good idea, I am a little annoyed I didn't come up with it.

Charity Miles is a free app for both Android and iPhone users. It allows you to earn money for a wide variety of charities while you workout.  It's very simple. Just pick a charity, start your workout, and Charity Miles does the rest. The app tracks your time and distance, and for every mile you log (10 cents for bike, 25 cents for runs and walks) a donation is made to the charity. You can even share your workout on social media afterward to raise awareness for the charity. Funding is through a series of corporate sponsors. In it's first year, Charity Miles earned over $350,000 for its charities! Here is a video with founder Gene Gurkoff to tell you more:
 

I usually only get to do one big fundraising event each year and for the third year in a row I am riding 24 Hours of Booty.  Charity Miles allows me to help a variety of organizations on a daily basis without having to constantly ask my friends and family to open their wallets. It's free and simple, and a great way to make more of your training.  I use it as often as I can on everything from walking the dog (she like to earn miles for the ASPCA) to hiking to my long runs.  I was recently named a Charity Miles All-Star, meaning I help encourage others to use the app and come up with way to improve it! Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Do you use Charity Miles?  What organizations do you log miles for?

4 comments:

  1. Great app, I need to look into it more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do! Super easy to use and a great way to pay it forward.

      Delete
  2. I don't, but I should look into it. During marathon training I'd be donating about $10 a week to charity. That is cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! A great way to do something good without actually doing anything you don't already do!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...