I am incredible proud of all the progress he has made in the past year and it got me thinking: What are the 5 most important things when you start running? So without further ado, here are my 5 tips for the running-curious out there:
- Patience. I can't emphasize this one enough. Patience is a virtue (not my favorite one) and it is especially important when it comes to running. Insane fitness and crackerjack speed don't happen over night. It takes work and time for your body to adapt. Be patient. Good things will happen with consistent training.
- Power of the pack. Group training is a great resource and can be especially helpful and encouraging for new runners. Check with local running stores and running groups to find out when they have group runs. I have found the running community to be very inclusive and awesome. Join in!
- Shoes. They are really the only piece of gear you have to have and getting a good, properly fitting pair is vital. I recommend going to a running specialty store that can assess your needs and stride.
- Stretch! It's something we all know we should do, but tend to get lackadaisical about. If you make it a habit when you start, it will be that much easier to do on a regular basis. Don't wait until something hurts!
- Rest. This is a hard one to learn, but are you are challenging your body to more, giving it time to recover is just as important. Rest days are in a plan for a reason. Make sure to take them.
What did I miss? What is you most important advice for new runners?