Sunday, September 29, 2013

Marathon Training Week#10

Oh holy heck. We've hit double digits.

After Friday's miserable run/death march, I took the whole weekend off.  My legs were really sore from it and my mind needed a break. I needed a few days to rest, both physically and mentally before this week's 20 miler and the craziness I have for the next three weekends.

Monday: 4 miles easy on the 'mill.  I actually kept it easy for once.

Tuesday: Cross training on the bike, followed by squats, lunges, and strength training.

Wednesday: Day off.

Thursday: Quick 5k. Was in a bit of a rush because my carpool (i.e. the Jayhawk) wanted to head home (our gym is at work).  I used it as an opportunity to push the pace a little more than I have lately.  Legs felt well rested and my foot didn't give me any trouble.

Friday: Rest. Made homemade ravioli. It was yummy.

Saturday: Woke up feeling a little off and as I got ready to run, I realized my garmin was dead.  Took it as a sign and postponed my long run to Sunday.
Welcome to Emory.
Sunday: 19.5 miles. I mentally broke the run up into  four 5 milers to help make it a little easier.  I fueled every 5 miles (3 Island Boost!) and it worked well. The weather was so nice and peaceful (since it was early Sunday morning), I ran the whole thing sans music.  Good mental training and a lot of alone time.  The hardest part was around mile 15 when I was actually only 2 miles from home by the most direct route, but I powered through and got it done. I ran through a lot of fun sides of the city including Emory University, Freedom Parkway, The Carter Center and the Presidential Library, as well as a lot of fun neighborhoods.
The Emory gates early in the morning.
How was your week?  Do you like exploring different areas of your city/town on your runs?

8 comments:

  1. Rockstar! That's a long run- well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think running without music is a good idea because there may be times when you choose to race without it or have to run without it. Mine stopped working during a marathon at least once. How great that you had a good 19.5 mile run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find music can be really handy at times. Just focusing on the beat can keep you moving forward.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you made your long run interesting and doable. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Have to be creative sometimes when you are running solo.

      Delete
  4. Way to power through that long run. I love doing my long runs around different areas,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really keeps it interesting. Sometimes exploring really helps the miles go by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...