Friday, October 25, 2013

Fuelin' Up Friday: Chocolate Island Boost

Ok, so I am sure you all remember when I waxed poetic/professed my love for Island Boost.  Well, I was lucky enough to be approached by the creator of Island Boost, Laura Mildon, to test out their new flavor, Chocolate, before it even hits the market. Not only did this make me feel super cool, but I was very curious. They did such a good job with the fruit flavored Island Boosts, I was a bit skeptical how the liquidy consistency would translate to chocolate.  Also, previous chocolate energy fuels I've tried didn't taste like chocolate, at least not chocolate I actually wanted to eat and let's be honest, I don't need another reason to hurl while running.  Laura assured me that Chocolate Island Boost was different, so I agreed to try it out and give her my unfiltered opinion.
The soon-to-be newest member of the Island Boost family.
Let's start with what makes it different. Keeping with Island Boost tradition, the Chocolate flavor contains only natural ingredients, and is vegan and gluten-free. Island Boost took these simple ingredients and made it work in ways other companies haven't.

In classic me style, I tried out Chocolate Island Boost in the middle of a Marathon.  As Laura was quick to point out, I broke rule Number One of Racing (Don't try anything new on race day), but luckily I wasn't punished for this move.  Here is the nitty gritty (or not so gritty as it turns out).
Proper race prep includes fuel, sneakers, and flair.
Taste:  Um, Amazing.  I actually said "Holy Heavens*" out loud mid-race when I tasted it. I trusted Laura that it would taste good, but it's more than that. It's a flavor you actually want to taste and enjoy taking. To be honest, it would totally be acceptable if the Jayhawk gave me a box of Chocolate Island Boost for Valentine's Day. Totally fine.* Edited for profanity
Consistency: Liquid and smooth.  I was worried that the cocoa might make it grainy or chalky, but it didn't at all. The liquid consistency that I like so much about Island Boost works with Chocolate.  I'm not sure how they got it to work, but I am loving it.
During Run:  Similar to the other flavors of Island Boost, you don't need water which is great when you are on the course.  I take my fuel based on mileage to be consistent. I couldn't help but be near water in this weekend's marathon because of the 22 aid stations on the course, but I really didn't need it.  It was just squirt-squirt and keep running. My energy level felt very consistent throughout the race.  No low glucose blues or muscle trouble due to my electrolytes being off. Just running and more running.
After Run:  In addition to not vomiting my guts out while running, this is one of the biggest advantages of proper fueling for me.  In the past, I haven't been able to eat after races.  I am either too nauseated or too worried it will come back up. It usually took me several hours to feel ready to eat, which is a pretty poor recovery method.  I don't have this problem anymore.  In fact, I am rather eager to eat after races now.  Race Directors, you've been warned. You might want to up the post-race food supply when I'm registered.

Since Island Boost is a small, new company, they've ingeniously started an IndieGoGo campaign to help launch the Chocolate flavor.  If you want to learn more about it or pitch in, visit it here.  There are a lot of great perks for donating!  For example, who would want the opportunity to create their own flavor of fuel?

Do you prefer fruit flavored fuels or are you open to anything?  If you could design your own fuel flavor, what would it be?

Disclosure: I received a sample of Chocolate Island Boost for free in exchange for my honest review.  All opinions expressed are mine.

8 comments:

  1. I've never tried Island Boost, but I am definitely intrigued. Fueling during a run is definitely something I need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fueling is something I'm always working on, but especially this training cycle. I highly recommend Island Boost if you have GI trouble or are just looking for something different.

      Delete
  2. Yikes, trying something new on race day could be bad. Glad that it went well for you though. I will have to see if I can get my hands on some of this Island Boost goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a rebel! Island Boost is definitely worth a try. It has helped me so much!

      Delete
  3. Hmmm. My stomach is so fussy on race day, I would have to try this in advance but it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried those gels. It's good to read that the inside of the package sounds like it's as good as the pretty packaging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that pic up top-doing my first Ragnar in a few weeks. Nervous but excited. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah! Be ready for anything to happen during a Ragnar including someone get sick or injured, a van gets lost, to have to run when you don't feel like it, etc. They are always an adventure and always fun! I'm sure you will have a great time!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...