Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Runner's Festivus Wish List

Since the Holiday Season is rapidly approaching, I thought it was a good time to put together a list of runner's need (and wants) as gift giving begins.  If you are a runner, you could oh so subtly email the link to your family members or leave copies lying around the house. You know, just to make it easy for them.

1. Compression Socks: Let's be honest, my feet swell to look like Christmas hams when I run (see any of my bloody feet stories). I started using compression socks as part of my long run recovery this summer, and it has really helped to reduce the swelling. Now they just look like bloated sausages (lovely image for you during Fesitvus Dinner).
Feet up, Wine down.
2. Road ID: I train primarily by myself and though I carry a cellphone, there is no excuse for me not having one. If you care for the runner in your life and want to keep them safe, this is a must.

3. Foam Roller: We all talk about the importance of stretching (dynamic or static, you pick), but there is also the importance of massage. A foam roller is a great way to both help massage tired mussels. Alternatively, a personal masseuse would also be fine.

4. New Sneakers: Any marathon training cycle is likely to take 1-2 pairs of sneakers and these babies ain't cheap. A new pair of sneakers is always a welcome addition, but always consult your runner for specifics first (or get them a gift card to the local running specialty shop). (Note: An off the rack pair of kicks is likely to start the airing of grievances)
Color is always key when shopping for running shoes. Oh, and fit.
5. Race Entry Fees: Does Active, RunDisney, or the RockNRoll series make gift cards?  Well the should!  How awesome would that be as a gift! Let's be honest, this runner's habit is kept on a budget and race entry fees would be greatly appreciated!

6. Body Glide: You can never have too much and it makes a perfect stocking stuffer. Nothing says "I care for you" then glide to protect your wobbly bits from chaffing. (Note: Could be handy during the Feats of Strength)

7. Fuel:  Runner's are frequently hungry.  I don't know one that would turn down a case of race fuel or healthy snacks they could keep at their desk.  Afraid of picking out some yourself? Monthly subscriptions to sites like RunnerBox take care of it for you!
Perfect stocking stuffers.
8. Membership to a local running club: After running itself, there is nothing runner's like to do more than talk about it.  Running clubs allow them to do both at once. In addition, membership can help you get discounts on races and at local running stores. It's a win-win.

Ok, there's a good starting list, so go out and get your holiday shop on. Is there anything I missed that is on your runner's wish list this year?

8 comments:

  1. I think you are right, some of those bigger events should offer gift cards!

    I think I might put compression socks on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be fun to get giftcards for race fees??!

      Delete
  2. I like this list. Number 5 especially because if the costs weren't so high I would be doing a race every weekend. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. To be independently wealthy would be great!

      Delete
  3. I like arm sleeves too. I tend to lose them so always need some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one! I've never tried arm sleeves, but I am curious about them.

      Delete
  4. Love my RoadID. There's also a service that you can sign up for that links all of your information online - instead of printing your name/address on the plate, you print an ID# which the EMS people can give over an 800 number. If you move a lot, you will appreciate not having to print a new plate every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, Thanks for the tip! I like that option.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...