Friday, November 22, 2013

Fuelin' Up Friday: Hungry for more.


Now that I've found a race time fuel that works for me, Island Boost, some of you may be wondering if this means the end of Fuelin' Up Friday posts.  Will I retire my barf gear?  Will I change my blog name? Fear not.  Even though I have successfully fueled my way through 2 Marathons without hurling, 7 Bridges Marathon and Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon, there are still many aspects of fueling that I need to perfect: pre-race, post-race, and additional during race options.
Our team logo from 2 Ragnars.  Yes, I have a rep. No, I didn't puke in the van.
Though Island Boost works wonders for me, I will be the first to say the no one fueling option works for everyone (see all my attempts at very popular fueling options).  I would like to have additional options in case for some horrible reason I don't have Island Boost (like a forget it home or TSA confiscates it or I consume all of REI's supply).  I also think different types of fuels are appropriate for different types of events.  In my opinion, gels or liquids are ideal for marathons both for the rapid absorption but also for their convenient packaging and carrying ability.  However, I don't have these kinds of space restrictions when biking thanks to the huge pockets in my cycling jersey, so I am open to different forms of fuel.

So fear not.  More fuel reviews are to come. If you have any ideas of new products to try, feel free to leave a comment.  I am always up for an adventure and being a guinea pig.

New reviews will begin in two weeks. There may even been some barfing, but no guarantees.

8 comments:

  1. IB is pretty good, indeed. Far better than any gels I've used. The taste is a bit strong and I've had issues during a couple races with ripping the top off and there NOT being an opening for the liquid to come out. But I'd recommend them over any gels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The taste is strong at first, but I love that they go down so easily.

      Delete
  2. Have you tried Honeystinger gels? They taste like honey - and you can get with or without flavor or caffeine. I love them, but not everyone loves honey like I do :)
    Hope you have fun testing things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't! I enjoy their waffles when I'm on the bike, but I'll have to check out their gels! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I agree - gels/liquids are easy during a race. While biking, you might even want something like raisins or dates since you have more room to carry food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, real snacks are one of the best parts of biking!

      Delete
  4. Gel and chomps turn my stomach and cause cramps. I have used sport beans and they seem to be the only thing that works for me. I've only run a half though. Biking is great cause I can a ton of water and good snacks :) I rarely hydrate on a run unless it's a race and it's there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take gels at all either. I've used beans in the past with ok luck.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...