Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Post Marathon Check in

First off, Thank you everyone for the kind words!  I really appreciate it.  I train mostly solo, so it's really fun to get so much support from other runners!
It's been about a week and a half since the marathon and recovery is going really well.  Overall, my legs felt pretty good after the race so I was able to get in a few workouts along with some good stretching last week.  Unfortunately, my toes needed an extra day or two before I could really start running again.  Yes, they did bleed again during this race (right around mile 15-16), but I think it was mostly because they weren't fully healed from 7 Bridges.  It's the same two toes that always bleed and the poor things look like ground meat. I will spare you the photos, but needless to say, that will probably be on the top of my goals list for my next marathon.
Looks innocent enough, but it was one of the uglier scenes I've ever seen inside.
Overall I am pretty happy with how the race and training cycle went. The format of my training plan worked really well for my life and I will definitely be using it again. I accomplished a lot of my race goals, finally found a way to fuel, and feel far more confident with the marathon.  Dare I say I might actually be starting to like the distance? The Jayhawk remarked after the race that I wasn't nearly as spent as he expected me to be (maybe he thought he would literally have to lug me to the car).  To be honest, he has a point.  I think I am still a bit nervous to push too early in the marathon and I run end up running comfortably for a lot of it.  Another thing to work on for the next one!
I somehow ended up with at least a dozen Moon Pies after the race. They were a staple of recovery. (source)
Right now I've been working on figuring out what the 'next one' is.  I've resisted the urge to sign up for every race in a 50 mile radius, though I am slowly starting to add items to the list over to the right.  I'm hoping to find a marathon in late winter/early spring so I can take advantage of all the training I did this fall and all the new found excitement I have for the marathon.

How much time do you take off after a big race? How quickly do you register for the next one?

8 comments:

  1. Come do Asheville with me and some other GA girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really tempted. March is a little wacky for me, so I am still trying to figure out if I can fit it in!

      Delete
  2. It's been awhile since I did a marathon. I think I used to take 5 -7 off. Register - soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! The toes sound painful. Impressive you just tough it out :) You ran a great marathon time! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sadly, I've gotten use to the toes, but I am hoping to find a way to fix it in the future.

      Delete
  4. Maybe bleeding toes means you need more space in the toe area (bigger toe box). Glad you enjoyed the marathon so much that you want to run another one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried several types of shoes (actually putting together a post on everything I've tried) and I trouble with some with a much wider toebox.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...