Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Developing a 10 week Marathon Training program

As I mentioned last week, I will be running the 26.2 with Donna Marathon in February. I'm very excited to be a race ambassador, as I've had several people close to me battle breast cancer. The rapidly approaching race day though requires a new marathon training plan adapted for 10 weeks. Yes, I am very aware that 10 weeks is not a typical training cycle for a marathon, but I'll make it work.
To be honest, I haven't been following much of a plan since Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon. I've kept it easy and let my body dictate the pace of my work outs. After running two marathons in 3 weeks, it took about 15 days post race until I felt like pushing hard in workouts, and since then I've kept a regular schedule of 3-5 milers during the week and 6-8 milers on the weekend. Also, I have focused on doing more strength training. Recently, I did start training for the Krispy Kreme Donut Dare, but I'm not sure that plan has a lot of crossover with Marathon training.
Short and sweet?
I've been using last week and this week to start ramping the miles back up and see how my body responds. So far, so good. I've decided to adapt the marathon training program I used for Chickamauga. Though I typically like to go into a training cycle with specific goals, I'm also waiting to see how my training goes for the next few weeks to develop my race goals. For certain I know my goals will be to have fun, finish, and probably not win the race. Especially not since this awesome lady (and fellow Mainer) is running Donna again!
With the renewal of marathon training, I'm bringing back weekly updates to keep me accountable and to see how this 10 week thing really works.

Anyone have any experience with shortened marathon training programs?
How did it workout?

13 comments:

  1. With your experience, I bet 10 weeks is enough time to prepare. If you had never run before, I would think you were crazy, but you're a pro! And very cool that you're a race ambassador. I was just talking to a guy who ran this as his first marathon ever after his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. He trained very little.:) But he finished and got hooked to running because of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you are too kind! I think I will make it one way or another! :) I've heard great things about the race and can't wait to see it for myself.

      Delete
  2. I saw Joan Benoit Samuelson running when I was running in the Maine Marathon (a turn-around course) a couple of years ago! The donut training for your other race ought to give you a strong stomach - always a plus in the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...so true, but I might have to wait until after the race for donuts!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great plan. Besides the donut dare, I am sure it is good to have a race to start training for again. I wish you lots of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That race is such a great race, and an emotional one. I don't think I've ever been so choked up running a race before. Congrats on becoming an ambassador!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I can't wait to run it! Glad to hear you had an amazing experience!

      Delete
  5. Joan is awesome! I got to meet and run with her last year. She is a true Mainer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up a town over from her and have seen her 'out for a run' before. She is quick!

      Delete
  6. When I run in Maine I always pretend I am meeting "Joanie" for a run. She is going to be at VCM this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to hear how it all works out. I think you are such a strong runner to accomplish two marathons in a few weeks time. I believe you can do whatever you set your mind to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate your kind words. I think I'll make it to the finish line one way or another. :)

      Delete
  8. I have tried a couple shortened training plans but not for the Marathon. More for the Half distance. With all your consistent runs I think you will be fine just be careful to keep an eye and feel out for any nagging injury problems. That is my only concern with shortened plans but from the looks of it you will do fine. I can't wait to hear how the race goes and read your training plans in the weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...