Monday, December 9, 2013

Krispy Kreme Donut Dare Training Plan

You may have noticed that I have a bit of a non-traditional race on my calendar, and a non-traditional race calls for non-traditional training.
It's officially my dream event. Source.
By this of course I am referring to the Krispy Kreme Donut Dare. The race consists of running a 5k, where around half way through you get the privilege of eating 10 Krispy Kreme Donuts before finishing the second half of the race.  The time it takes you to eat counts as part of your overall time.  There are options to run without eating, but I don't see the fun in that. Then you would just be running a 5k and, to be honest, I am not a huge fan of 5ks. But I am a huge fan of donuts and a huge fan of charity races (the proceeds benefit UGA Miracle) and that overcame my disdain for the 5k in this case.

So back to the task at hand, training.  Being slightly competitive by nature, I want to eat all my donuts and run a respectable 5k. The only way to do that is train.
Little Circles of Happiness.
As good fortune would have it, I live exactly 1.25 miles from Dunkin' Donuts. I know this because I run by it pretty much on every single one of my runs. It is also possible that it's on my way to work and that a friendly DD employee, Kamal, knows my order and even asks where the Jayhawk is when I come in solo. In terms of life, having a DD so accessible could be seen as challenging, but it terms of training for the Donut Dare, it is essential and downright clutch.

I have put together a 6 week training schedule to keep me on track and make sure that I peak on race day. I tried to use the 10% rule in terms of increasing training (that is where the donut holes come in) and scheduled recovery weeks, but that can be difficult when donuts are involved. The plan assumes a running and donut base before starting. I recognize that I am training with a different donut that will be used on race day, but sometimes you have to do the best that you can. Maybe I could bring my own donuts to the race, but I think it would be hard to run with the box.

Week
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Total
9-Dec
3M
Cross
3.5M/2H+C
3M/1H+C
REST
2.5M/2D
2H+C
12M/2D/5H
16-Dec
3.5M
Cross
3.5M/2H+C
3M/1H+C
REST
2.75M/3D
2H+C
12.75M/3D/5H
23-Dec
3.5M
Cross
4M/3H+C
3M/1H+C
REST
3M/4D
3H+C
13.5M/4D/7H
30-Dec
2.5M
Cross
3.5M/3H+C
3M/1H+C
REST
3M/2D
3H+C
12M/2D/7H
6-Jan
3M
Cross
3.5M/2H+C
3.5M/1H+C
REST
4M/6D
2H+C
14M/6D/5H
13-Jan
3.5M
Cross
3.5M/3H+C
3M/1H+C
REST
2.5M/2D
2H+C
12.5M/2D/6H
20-Jan
3M/2H
Cross
1.5M/1H+C
REST
REST
REST
Race Day
7.6M/10D/3H

Abbreviations used: M=miles, D=donuts, H=Holes, C=Coffee

Weekday workouts can be broken up into 2 a days (AM donuts with coffee, PM run).  Saturday workouts are designed to be run-eat workouts, with the donuts consumed at the midpoint of the run(or at least before the last mile) to simulate race conditions. Sundays are for recovery eating and Mondays are for recovery running. The peak week is two weeks prior to the race to allow for ample tapering and digestion.  Also, other plans might take you up to 8 or even 9 donuts, but I think that leads to overtraining. Nothing is gained from training with over 6 donuts except burnout, poor recovery, and the chance of never wanting to eat a donut again. I am excited to get started.

Have you ever run a non-traditional event (Spartan Race, Warrior Dash, Beer Mile, etc)? Did you train for it?

17 comments:

  1. I seriously laughed out loud at this. Good luck with your training! Sounds rough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am willing to take one for the team and train for this one!

      Delete
  2. Where is this race ?! Lol! If I trained for this I'd be as big as a house!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Athens! It was started by some UGA students as a fundraiser and they've made it a little more official this year!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! Please adopt as necessary!

      Delete
  4. This is so awesome, LOL! Love your training plan! (too bad they're not DD).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's going to be a lot of hard work.

      Delete
  5. Talk about some fun race training! I need a nearby donut race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like they are starting to expand them. The original one was in NC and this one was started by some UGA students as a fundraiser.

      Delete
  6. One of my favorite posts ever! Brilliant! There is a Ben and Jerry's race here. I'm never around but I may need to be so I can train for that one. You eat a pint half way. And again you can do it for fun but why bother?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my heavens! I think you just topped me. I might actually have to go visit my relatives in VT now. The Ben& Jerry's factory is always worth a visit!

      Delete
  7. I don't even know what to say about this other than - Incredible! Whoever came up with this run was a Genius. I love your training plan too! I think you have a killer plan to run and eat in a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope my marathon training doesn't get in the way of my donut training. Priorities!

      Delete
  8. Brilliant!!! I am signing you up as my coach :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a blast! Enjoy that training ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...