Friday, January 24, 2014

Krispy Kreme Donut Dare Pre-race thoughts

So the big day is finally here.  I developed a strict training plan. I've put in the miles and some donuts. Now it's time to see what I'm made of.
I'm excited, but also a bit nervous.  What if I didn't train enough?  What if I get a jawcramp? What if I am so sugar high I have to run all the way home from Athens? My donut training definitely took a nose dive after my marathon training started back up. Eating donuts during a 12 miler just doesn't seem as fun. Not to mention, the winner last time ran & ate in under 23 minutes.  Yikes.
If this doesn't pump you up, I don't know what will. source.
It is also going to be chilly on race morning, so creates another set of concerns.  With starting temps around 32 degrees, I am actually kind of hoping they will be serving coffee at the water stops. Let's be honest, it would pair well with what they are serving at the midway point. Obviously, I want to dress in stretchy, forgiving fabrics, as I will be taking on a considerable amount of fuel during the race.  But do I wear gloves?  I don't want my donuts to get all fuzzy from mitten hands.  That's not going to make them go down any faster.  But I also need my hands to be dexterous, so they can quickly shovel the donuts into my mouth.  I could always take them off as I enter the donut zone.

And as for donut eating, I'm thinking of going with multiple at a time. A smoosh and chew method if you will.  Like the gentleman in the yellow neon shirt in the above video.  Liquids are essential in getting them down, so I considered wearing my hydration pack, but I don't think I will because it may not fit after all those donuts.  I'm going with the race provided liquids, another wild card for the day.

Sadly, the Jayhawk has come down with some form of the plague, so he will not be join me on race day. I am more than a little bummed because he was going to be my race day photog. Now you are stuck with my horrible selfie skills. Where's a GoPro when you need one?

In all honesty, it's going to be a lot of silly fun to benefit a great cause.

What's  on tap for you weekend?

9 comments:

  1. I think I'd eat lightly before the race so I'd be hungry during the race. Try not to eat too much mitten fuzz if you wear mittens - you need to save room for the donuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good point! Coffee for breakfast it is!

      Delete
  2. lol.. You definitely are not over thinking this race. :) Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started my last even at about 30 degrees. I have the gloves where you flip your fingers free...maybe you would like those :) I had the gloves off by mile 3 and my jacket off by about mile 6 lol Hopefully you'll warm up! I hope you have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...how fun!! Have a blast, and try not to barf! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be interested to see how that goes. They do one here too. You can run solo eat a whole dozen at the half way point. Or go as a team of 4 and split the box. I just don't think I could eat 4 donuts and run back without feeling a bit sick. Curious for your report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm....sharing doughnuts. Interesting idea. :P

      Delete
  6. Jealous and can't wait to hear about it. Already done my long run.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...