Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Krispy Kreme Doughnut Dare 5k Recap

Krispy Kreme Doughnut Dare Athens, GA
Field: 200-300 running and/or doughnut enthusiasts
Spectators: Minimal, but there were many very energetic volunteers.  Perhaps they tapped into the doughnuts a little early. 
Start/Finish: Outside the Coliseum
Course: Loop course through the UGA campus.
Schwag: T-shirt and a box of 10 Krispy Kreme Doughnuts 
Other: The event is put on by UGA Miracle, a student group that raises money for Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.  It's a small, charity event with lots of passion.  Don't expect chip timing or tech t-shirts, but do expect to have a good time, get a sugar high, and raise money for a good cause.

On Sunday I ventured to Athens for an event I've been dying to do for years.  I trained for months, preparing for both the distance and the caloric onslaught, and I felt both nervous and ready to compete.
Thousands of doughnuts ready to go. Source
A true test of physical and gastrointestinal capabilities, the Krispy Kreme Doughnut Dare consists of a 5k race with a pit-stop in the middle during which you eat 10 Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. You don't have to eat the doughnuts if you don't want to 'take the dare', but then you would just be running a 5k while other people eat doughnuts. That doesn't sound nearly as fun.
This will be worn with pride! 
It was a little chilly at the start with temps barely in the 20s.  I dressed in loose layers to accommodate my impending mid-race snack. I wore gloves as to keep my fingers warm and nibble for the feeding frenzy I had planned.  Scoping out the pre-race competition, I realized I was up against a lot of college students.  Hungry college students.  This could be harder than I expected.
Video of this year's race! Source
With a quick, "Go" we were off, with high spirits and empty tummies. The first part of the race went well.  I hit a good rhythm, worked on making it to the doughnuts quickly, still being able to breathe and eat. We arrived at a courtyard full of doughnuts 1.25 miles into the race.  This meant I was going to have to run the majority of the race with a tummy full of confectionery delights, which I would hopefully not hurl all over the campus. The doughnut consumption area was a bit of a dance party with loud pop music, enthusiastic volunteers, and runners awkwardly wiggling as they attempted to down their doughnuts.
The check-mark means I ate all my doughnuts.
I quickly grabbed my box and looked for a spot to open it up and get to business.  I ended up sharing a planter with a bunch of college boys who were already a couple of doughnuts in.  I went with a multi-doughnut sandwich method, squishing 2-3 doughnuts together at a time. With the first bite I realized I had overlooked something in my training: the temperature of the doughnuts.  Cold doughnuts, like 20 degrees cold, are far more difficult to eat than doughnuts hot from the shop.  This definitely slowed down my DPM (doughnut per minute average).  I made it through 7 doughnuts without too much excitement in 5 minutes, but the last 3 were definitely a challenge. I drank very little water while eating the doughnuts which definitely made them go down slower, but greatly reduced my risk of hurling. I ended up finishing my doughnuts in 8-9 minutes, before all the college boys around me (not that I was being competitive during a charity doughnut race). I quickly showed my empty box to the exit volunteers, learned that I was the second female out of the eating area, got my check mark, and was back on the road.
Getting my chow on. source
When I exited the area, I still had about a half of a doughnut in my mouth and the next third of a mile trying to get it down was one of the more challenging of my life.  Add to that that the second half of the course had several significant hills, I worked hard to get to the finish. Knowing that there was only one other girl in front of me was definitely motivating. I arrived at the finish in 34:50 with ALL of my doughnuts still safely in my tummy, and received a finish card that said I was 15th among challenge participants. I am very proud that I kept the doughnuts down, as many of my friends bet that it would take me longer to eat them then they would stay in my stomach. The female winner finished in 34:00, so I definitely have something to work towards for next year.
After the race, all smiles.
As a doughnut enthusiast and a runner, there really isn't a better event than the Krispy Kreme Doughnut Dare. This year the event raised over $10,000 for Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.  I also learned that doughnuts might be a new fueling option for me, as they are only the second item I've been able to keep down when eating on the run!


14 comments:

  1. Wow. Eating them that fast was amazing, I don't think I could eat them that quickly or run afterward. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! Training paid off! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm proud of you! How perfect. Racing. Eating donuts. And it's for charity so no feeling guilty. And training to eat more donuts. So so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that you have trouble keeping food down, but you were able to keep 10 donuts down! I don't think I could ever eat 10 donuts at once even without racing, too. Congrats on getting such a great finish time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Many friends were betting I would lose my doughnuts before mile 2! I think it was the minimal liquids that really helped.

      Delete
  4. That is so awesome! Congrats on 2nd OA!

    I'm a major donut lover too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely something to work towards for next year. I want the doughnut trophy!

      Delete
  5. This race looks like so much fun! When I was living in South Carolina, I always wanted to drive up and do the Krispy Kreme Challenge in Raleigh but never got the chance. Nice work at the race! Maybe you'll be the first female finisher next year. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd always thought about driving up to NC too, but it just seems a little far for a 5k. Glad they started one closer! I better start training for next year!

      Delete
  6. Hilariously, the ad generated under the comments is a Krispy Creme coupon!!

    Congrats to you on this amazing accomplishment. I might get down 3 or 4, but 10??? Yes indeed, I do think you are in training for an ultra!
    Loved reading this one :)
    smalltownrunner.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raina! I'm ready for ultra eating! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...