Monday, January 6, 2014

#RunDonna Marathon Training: 8 weeks to go.

With 8 weeks until 26.2 with Donna Marathon, here is what my training looked like.

Monday: 4.5 miles on the treadmill.  Nothing too remarkable to report.  Tried to keep it easy and ended up with a 8:35/mile pace.

Tuesday: 5 miles of hiking out to the Hike Inn. The hike was moderate with over 4800 feet of elevation change.  I think it is doable for many abilities and well worth the visit.
Such a relaxing spot to ring in the new year.
Wednesday: 6+ miles of hiking back to Amicalola State Park.
Fresh air makes me smile.

Thursday: 4 miles on the treadmill (8:35/mile pace).  My rear was a little tight from all the elevation gain during our hikes, so I opted for a flat run on the treadmill. Felt good and was happy to be running after two days of hiking.

Friday: Rest day to celebrate a busy work week.

Saturday:  No running.  I was in a 5 hour bread class and it was awesome.  I received a gift card for a cooking class for my birthday and finally got around to scheduling it.  I chose an Artisan Breads class because runner's love carbs and I had already learned the art of homemade pasta with my last cooking school gift card.  I am sufficiently carbo loaded for the next 6 months.  Or at least 6 hours. Needless to say, I didn't have to rush to the store for bread when Atlanta had it's little 'snow' scare on Sunday night.
A sampling of what we made. 
Sunday:  15.1 miles. I'm not going to lie. I felt like I was working for it the entire run. I was surprised in the end to find out that my pace wasn't too bad (9:16/mile average) and I had over 2200 feet of uphill running.  I am very happy I got it done and I am starting to feel like this 10 week training thing might actually work!

How was your week of training? Is the cold weather hurting your workouts?

13 comments:

  1. I like the shorter marathon training plans better! 16 weeks is too long IMO!

    I can run in the cold without complaining too much, but these temps the last few days, have me inside. My cold threshold has been met, and NO thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bread looks delicious! I have a severe weakness for breads and sadly I have a gluten intolerance. Sometimes I just deal with the negative side effects. Love your hike too. Being outdoors in nature especially in the woods is one of my favorite places to be. Good job on the training. Awesome 15 mile run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sorry to hear you have a gluten intolerance!

      Delete
  3. What a great week of running! I would love to take a bread class!! That would be awesome.
    A couple weeks ago I injured my knee, so last week was only able to run once. But it's feeling better, so I've been able to pick it back up. The cold weather really doesn't hurt my workouts, I just get it done on the treadmill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The class was an awesome present!

      Delete
  4. Great pace for your long run! What a fun class to take and a great skill to have! The bread looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bread class looks awesome!! Maybe the long run was tough after being on your feet for hours on Saturday? You had a great week regardless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about being on my feet all day, so I wore compression socks and sneakers to the bread class. I am such a nerd!

      Delete
  6. 4800' of elevation gain in 5 miles is pretty dang STEEP! Omgosh. Well done on the week, impressive. And the bread...drooling here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hike was up or down at all times, but it was still doable for all abilities. Definitely all about pacing!

      Delete
  7. What a great long run! and yummm bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marathon coaching very helpful and mostly clients get before upcoming events. I like your plans of training. Thank you assistant about it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...