Monday, January 20, 2014

#RunDonna Training Recap: 6 weeks to go and #Megsmiles

The week started off on a sad note as the running community tragically lost Meg Menzies when she was hit by a drunk driver while on her morning run.  The story really resonated with me because it easily could have been any of us.  I've had several close calls with distracted & unobservant drivers, but  I've always been lucky.  Just another reminder to prioritize safety above all when out on a run. I dedicated all my Sunday miles this week to Meg.

With 6 weeks left, here's how my training went for 26.2 with Donna.  I didn't get in as many workouts as I wanted this week, but I am still getting in the majority of my miles. Sunday's long run was a big confidence booster.
Monday: Rest day after Sunday's long run.

Tuesday: 4 miles easy on the treadmill. I am eager for the gym to get back to normal after the strong influx after New Years.

Wednesday: 3.1 miles on the treadmill with a bit of speed work. Starting to do a better job of pushing on the treadmill.  Still seem to run faster outside when I run on feel, but I'll get there.

Thursday: 4.75 mile run commute home.  I did not find $20. :(

Friday: Rest.

Saturday: Rest.  I did make my first loaf of bread at home!  I think it went well. :)
It is now all gone. The crowd liked it.
Sunday: 18.7 miles (8:44/mile) on the Silver Comet Trail for #Megsmiles.  I needed a break from my usually running routes and all the hills, so I headed out to the Silver Comet Trail.  It's a rails to trails path that leads from just north of Atlanta all the way to Alabama. It was a perfect day for a long run and my legs were very thankful for the break from all the climbing.
Perfect weather.
I made a huge fueling mistake and didn't realize that I only had 1 Island Boost left in the house and I used it at mile 5.  I tried a new fuel that I had hanging around for future Fuelin' Up Friday posts, but I just couldn't stomach it. Luckily I had decided last minute to run with Tailwind in my hydration pack and it saved me so I didn't have to run the last 13+ miles without fuel.  Rookie Mistake (am still allowed to use this excuse?).  I will be heading over to REI this week to restock.
Huge hawk I saw during my run. He was definitely eyeing me.
How did your week go? Any races or big runs? Did you run #Megsmiles?

6 comments:

  1. The trail looks awesome!! I have to drive about 45 min. to get to a like that. I did run my race for Meg yesterday. I've had a lot of close calls too. It's frustrating people seem sometimes cut close to me on purpose even when there's enough road. You are doing amazing on your training. I can only imagine running 18 miles lol and I am not sure if I will ever get there. Does that happen for close to 50? Oh the bread looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *does that happen for people close to 50? I always leave a typo! argghh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I am the Queen of Typos. No worries!

      This trail is a little bit from where I live right now, but I really like it so I go out there every so often as a treat. Yes, you can totally run that far. It's all about taking it one step at a time!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a beautiful trail, and a solid week of training!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a tragedy what happened to Meg. It is a reminder that we all need to be aware of our surroundings while we are running. That trail looks amazing. It makes me want to go on a runcation just thinking of all the trails I could run. lol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...