Sunday, February 16, 2014

#RunDonna 1 week to go!

First off, another huge THANK YOU to everyone!  Your support has been awesome and I am very close to hitting my fundraising goal (again), ensuring that I will be adorn in a fabulous pink taffeta outfit on 5k day!  A few more $10 donations and I am pretty in pink.  Or at least sweaty in pink.
I warned you it is pink!
Second, your guesses on the Chocolate Island Boost contest are awesome.  I'm flattered by your speedy guesses, and you all are motivating me to work even harder on race day!  Thank you!  Thank you! And if you haven't entered yet, you have until midnight on Friday, so get to it.  What are you waiting for?!

It was a weird week here in Atlanta, leading to limited postings by me.  First we had snow, ice, freezing rain and power outages that shutdown the city for 3 days straight.  Then just as things were returning to 'normal', there was an earthquake east of the city.  And to top it all off, it is going to be almost 70 on Sunday.  It's a weird, weird world.
The icy hill on which we live. Luckily it melted quickly this time because there are very few plows.
The wackiness that was Atlanta this week led to a slightly accelerated taper.  I was unable to get to the gym as the streets were closed and the sidewalks were so icy, it was too dangerous to attempt running outdoors.  I did the best I could and got in a few quality workouts this week.  Needless to say, I should be well rested come race day.
Me, after being stuck in the house for 2 days.
Though I tried to avoid it, I sustained an ice injured during the ice storm when an ice pack fell out of our freezer and took a 5 foot fall directly onto two of my toes.  I may have whelped and made a bit of a production leading the Jayhawk to declare that they were indeed still attached to my foot.  Ironically, I used the offending ice pack to ice my toes. I did have some swelling and blue nails from the event, so I did take off the rest of the ice storm (not like I could workout anyway).
Valentine's brunch, even if we are two days late! :)
By Friday, I was back to running and my toes appear to be holding up nicely.  Always fun to have a near injury during taper time to prove just how crazy you are.

How was your week? Any good taper madness stories?

9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that ice pack fell on your foot! What terrible timing, but at least you're feeling back to normal. I'm glad you're able to get back to running. Weather has been crazy all over the place and it's really tough if you don't have access to a treadmill. I'm so ready for spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had really weird weather here in SC too. Ice, snow, felt the earthquake too, then warm and sunny on Sunday. Bizarre! I have to store my ice packs way in the back because I have had them fall on my feet numerous times. Shouldn't an ice injury have happened outside last week? :) So much for staying indoors out of harms way. Hope this week is good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the funniest part of the whole thing. I got injured by freezer ice in the middle of an ice storm. Only me. :P Glad you survived the wacky weather too!

      Delete
  3. I get the taper munchies like CRAZY. Hope you can avoid them:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I'm sorry about your toes! I think I would have skipped icing, just to protest the ice pack......

    Enjoy that taper. (better you than me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ug, tapers are rough, but my slightly extended taper is killing me. Booooo.

      I almost didn't ice it out of spite, but I could there was swelling.

      Delete
  5. oh no, I can't believe you hurt your toes. At least it wasn't too close to the race so you had time to heal. The weather has been a little crazy this year. I know you aren't use to seeing that much ice and snow in GA. I can't over how cold VA has been this year. I saw about the earthquake....it's a strange feeling. We had a small one here a few years ago. I hope you have a really peaceful race weekend. I am counting on you being speedy so I can try some Island Boost ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the ice! I hope you're feeling better. It's terrible whenever you hurt your legs or feet. We need them for running!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...