Tuesday, April 1, 2014

ABSolutely Awesome April

April is exactly 30 days long, so I figured it was the perfect month to give myself (and anyone who would like to join me) a 30 day challenge. After thinking long and hard, I came up with this:
Clearly, I missed my calling as a graphic designer.
Since I had already declared April as Awesome, I decided to take it a step further and call it ABSolutely Awesome.  For the next 30 days, I am challenging myself to do daily core work! (I realize that the core is more than just ABS, but Core work Awesome April just didn't have the same ring to it.)  After the mini-break I took from running in March because of my foot infection, I feel like I lost some core strength.  With this challenge, I hope regain some core strength and build on it to have a stronger core heading into my next training cycle.
 
Here is the plan for anyone who wants to join me.  I've designed a simple workout that should take no more than 10-15 minutes and requires no equipment. I'm keeping it simple because we are more likely to complete a challenge if it's easy something that's not going take a huge change to start. I want there to be no excuses for missing a core workout!

I've created 3 groups of exercises with the goal of completing one exercise from each group everyday (i.e. 3 total a day).  Feel free to mention any other exercises I may have missed in the comments and I would be happy to add them. The more options, the less likely we are to get bored with the challenge! Every 10 days, the intensity of the exercises should increase with either additional reps for things like bicycle crunches or longer times for things like planks. I'm going to track my daily exercises in my weekly workout recaps to keep myself accountable.  Feel free to join me! I don't have any fun prizes to give out for those who join me, but I'll give out some high-fives and shout outs!

Here are a couple of good resources:
Core Yoga for Runners from Runner's World
Core workout from Fitness Blender
Side Ab exercises from Livestrong
Core Performance


What are you favorite core exercises?  How often do you focus on core strengthening?

2 comments:

  1. I may make half the days! I need to start working my core more, but I seem to need my rest days. I like your choice of exercises I can work a set and stretch in between :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Karen! Half is better than none. Glad to have you join!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...