Thursday, April 24, 2014

It's Ultra time.

One of my goals for 2014 is to complete my first ultramarathon.  Though I've been pretty certain which race I want to run for about a year now, I hadn't got around to signing up.  But then it dawned on me:
You can't complete a race if you never sign up for it.

So I did!  Thank heavens it wasn't sold out because that would have been a huge bummer.  On August 31st I will be running my first 50k, the Snakebite 50k/50miler!
Oh the Irony. Snakes freak me out. Source
As you can imagine, I am pretty darn excited and totally nerding out on pulling together an ultra training plan, reading about ultras, etc.  The Jayhawk is already sick of hearing about it and it's only 4 months until race day!
Item #1 on the to do list: learn to identify venomous snakes. Source.
I volunteered at this race last year (I was the chatty one at Aid Station#4 under the bridge) and because of that, I get free entry into this year's race!  The trail running group that organizes the race, the Yeti trail runners, thanks volunteers with a free bib to one of their races. I had no idea about it when I signed up to volunteer and actually volunteered as fact finding mission for potentially running it this year.

So, get excited.  There is a lot of learning to do and you can be certain I will be sharing it all.

How are your goals for 2014 going? Have you ever run or thought about running an Ultra?

13 comments:

  1. Yay! Did you see my SweetH2O 50k sweeping post about the rattlesnake we saw? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you running Snakebite this year? I'll have to check out your post. I would have been a little freaked out!

      Delete
  2. I look forward to following your training and watching your progress. I hope to do my first 50k in January if everything goes as planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! January is probably a much smarter time to run an Ultra!

      Delete
  3. Running a 50k while watching out for poisonous snakes sounds terrifying haha! I can't wait to hear about your experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Just my luck that GA has the highest density of snakes or something horrible like that. I hope it's motivation to run faster!

      Delete
  4. How exciting, and awesome that you get "free" entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty cool setup and a great way to thank volunteers!

      Delete
  5. A 50 miler! Go girl :) How awesome you had a free entry for volunteering! The heat that time of year would scare me, but I realize not everyone melts down like I do lol That is very exciting to plan for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only 50k this time Karen! Maybe 50 miles in the future. I am worried about the heat because I melt too, but I am keeping my goal simple: finish!

      Delete
  6. Snakebite??? I would find a different one but have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GA has tons of snakes, so I don't think there is an option without them. I just hope it makes me run faster!

      Delete
  7. Hi,

    Great post thanks for info!


    http://www.sportsfixer.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...