Thursday, April 3, 2014

Ragnar Trails Atlanta Preview

This weekend is the first Ragnar Trails Atlanta, and I am pretty darn excited to be involved.  I've previously run two Ragnars, Upstate NY (it's now called Adirondacks) and Northwest passage. I did both of those with the same team of 5 other crazy folks spending 24+ hours in a van together (the first time being nuts enough to do it in only a mini-van), and, yes, we are still on speaking terms.
Nothing like a team pre-race plank stack to get you excited to spend the next 36 hours in a van together.
This one is going to be a lot different! Not only have I never met any of my teammates in person, but instead of spending the entire race in a van, we will be camping out overnight with all the other teams. The event is a great chance to explore more of the Atlanta trails and get to know a new part of the amazing Atlanta running community. The whole thing is basically like a giant trail runner summer camp (or at least that is what I am telling myself). There are live bands, a bonfire, group yoga, and even smores!  I bet smores will go great with a Chocolate Island Boost! There is only one thing that is causing me not to be over the moon excited for the event.

This.
Hrm.  Not ideal camping weather to put it nicely. In all honesty, I'm a little worried they might delay the start or alter the event. But since it's Awesome April, I am sure it will all work out!

So here's how the whole thing works. Every team consists of 8 runners, each of who will run 3 different legs of the relay. There are 3 different trail loops of varying distances (3+, 4+, and 6+ miles, each runner will run each loop once) and in between legs, runners hang out at the campsites enjoying music, yoga, fueling up, and resting for their next run.  Unlike the road Ragnars that I've done (all were on an Ultra squad), I will actually have time to enjoy some of the non-running parts, there will be a lot more time to socialize with other teams, and get into trouble make new friends as no one has to worry about driving the van or getting van sick (not that I ever did that)!
Big Thank You to Nuun Hydration for sponsoring our team and keeping us hydrated.  I am sure I will need a little Nuun Energy to get me through the night! Feel free to follow Team #Electrolit on instagram or twitter throughout the weekend for updates on our progress!

Have you ever done a Ragnar?  Do you like team relay events?

9 comments:

  1. Ahh I want to do a Ragnar sooo bad! I can't wait to hear all about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there new reader! That race sounds awesome...except maybe the camping out part. I'm not really into camping...though it sounds like the overnight part will be a blast..who cares about sleeeping on the ground. Hope the weather holds out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great. There actually wasn't a ton of time for sleeping!

      Delete
  3. Ragnars are awesome. And Ragnar Trails are pretty great fun, too! I'm running Zion at the end of the month. It's my 2nd year doing Zion, but with a different team this year. Should be a great time! Hope the weather holds out for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it. I can't wait to read your Zion Recap! I can only imagine how stunning it is. I think I might like the trail Ragnar more than the road!

      Delete
  4. How did you end on the team you ran with? It sounds very adventurous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The team I ran with had several other Atlanta area runner bloggers on it. I'd communicated with several of them on blogs and twitter, but never in real life. It was awesome that they thought to include me!

      Delete
  5. That is awesome :) What a neat experience!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...