Monday, April 14, 2014

Training Recap 4/7-4/13

Monday: Foam rolling and stretching. My ankles needed another day of recovery after the trail running.
ABS: planks, sideknees, lunges

Tuesday: 3.1 miles on the treadmill, foam roller.
ABS: Supermans, side knees, Flutterkicks

Wednesday: 4.1 mile Tempo runcommute home.  This was the first time I actively tried to do a tempo run.  My run home starts with 1 mile of significant hills, so I took it slow and used it as a warm up.  At the top, I gradually increased speed until I was running the last part at 7:30 pace.  Finished with a few more hills on the way home for a total of 35:09 (8:34/mile).
ABS: Bird dogs, side knees, lunges

Thursday: Rest.
ABS: Plank, sideknees, flutterkicks

Friday: 3.1 easy miles on the mill.
ABS: Supermans, side planks, bridges

Saturday: 4 miles easy with a friend! Yes, I didn't run alone.  A friend from work asks me occasionally to join her on Saturday runs and since she was willing to not start at 7am, we had a nice run starting at 9am.  I have to admit, our days of Saturday sleeping in are numbered.  Summer is coming.
ABS: Planks, bicycle kicks, Bridges

Sunday: Foam rolling
ABS: Bird dogs, Bicycle crunches, lunges
Thanks for all the feedback on my Ragnar Trails recap. If you'd like to read some of my teammates opinions, here are a few that are up:
Victor, winner of my Chocolate Island Boost Contest, wrote me a note this week:
"I tried some of the island boost last weekend on an 8 miler and I really liked it. I am going to take a couple more this weekend on my Sweetwater 50K. Here is the best thing about it. It is liquid and oh my gosh that is such a good break from the gels. There are times when I just cringe and the thought of squishing down a gel, but this is easy, just a squirt and it's down!"
For those of you unfamiliar with the Sweetwater 50k (which would be anyone outside the Georgia Ultrarunning community), it's a technical 50k complete with a hardcore, chest-high water crossing.  Check it out and then head over to Twitter and send Victor a big congrats for finishing!
Sweetwater 50k course profile. Source
Link of the week:  Runner's World had a great article this week about preventing common running injuries.  It went through some simple strength training exercises and different stride elements to focus on.  Worth a read!

13 comments:

  1. What is your favorite flavor of Island Boost? You've convinced me to use it during my training for my marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are going to give it a try! I use all the Island Boost flavors on a regular basis. Hmm, picking one is hard. It's like asking your mother to pick her favorite child (the dog obviously). I would say the chocolate and then passion fruit and then blueberry-pom, but everyone is a little different, so maybe try a variety. you'll have plenty of miles that need fueling! Let me know how it works for you!

      Delete
  2. Wow. The Sweetwater 50K sounds beyond intense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it was almost 80 this year during the race! I bet the didnt mind the water too much!

      Delete
  3. Nice job on all that core work!! And the Ragnar relays must have been such a blast. I hope to do that someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Ragnar are a lot of fun esp with a good team!

      Delete
  4. Great week of working out! I admit I am still slacking on the core work, I had good intentions though...your group Ragnar picture is really cute :) Thanks for the links I am going to read the posts.I guess I will have to try some Island boost. I have struggled to find anything I can use without getting a cramp. It's hard to go without anything in the summer heat though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had some close calls on the Core work! There have been several time when I've remembered slightly before bedtime. The heat is killer. I find I sometimes am not taking enough salt in preworkout on hot days.

      Delete
  5. Do you have plans to run the Sweetwater 50K someday? If the creek is that deep, I'm guessing I'd have to swim across!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to see how my first 50k goes before I think about Sweetwater. The 50k I am running actually goes through the same park, but in a much nicer way!

      Delete
  6. Holy moly that is a tough 50k you signed on for!! Chest high water???
    The Island boost sounds good! I think I'd like to try some. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that isn't my first 50k! Mine does go through the same park, but in a much more gentle way! Maybe someday I'll be daring enough to try that one!

      Delete
  7. I would love to do the Sweetwater 50k! It looks really intense. I think I'll have to try an easier 50k to start with though. Good week of workouts. Glad to see your ankle seems to be doing better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...