Friday, May 9, 2014

50k Training Plan version 2.0

After posting what can now be called the first draft of my 50k training plan, I received a lot of really helpful feedback, advice, and input about training for the 50k and the 50k in general. Basically, my nerdiness got the best of me and I was over thinking it.

I'll be honest, when I first started looking at 50k training plans, I was really surprised by the heavy weekend volume I was finding.  I expected such things for a 50 miler, but not for a 50k. In reality, a 50k isn't that much longer than a marathon and therefore shouldn't need such different training. But having never run one, I assumed there was something I was missing and I didn't want to go in under trained.

This is where social media is your best friend.  Between comments on the post (be sure to check them out!) and responses on twitter, I realized that most people train for a 50k similar to how they train for a marathon but add in a little more terrain specific work and back to backs on the weekend.

In particular, Kyle Kranz's comments on the post helped me look at my training plan in a better way. If you don't know Kyle, he is a professional runner, coach, and the social media guru for Skora. Make sure to go check out his blog, tons of great info there. Kyle really emphasized looking at the vertical and horizontal balance of the plan (down the weeks and across each week). Spreading out mileage throughout the week allows for better quality workout, without having killer huge weekends. Even though I am not trying to win the race, Kyle recommended maintaining specific workouts (tempo and hills) throughout training as they will make you much stronger on race day than just running the miles.  Huge thank you and High-five to Kyle for the advice!

50k Training plan version 2.0

50k Training Plan
Version 2.0
I feel a lot more comfortable and excited about my new plan.  The overall mileage is actually higher by about 50 miles, but it the way it's laid out looks much more doable and less intimidating to me. To be honest, I was already not looking forward to those 30+ mile weekends on version 1 and that doesn't lead to good workouts.  There is still one big run on this plan, a 24ish miler in July.  That is actually a 39k trail race on similar terrain to the 50k.  A great test run for gear and fuel before the big race. Weeks alternate between big longruns with a shorter recovery run the next day, and weekends with 2 equal-ish length runs.  Wednesday and Saturday will be used for specific workouts.

Ok, thoughts/comments/suggestions on version 2.0? I'm not afraid to make a 3rd one! :)

Updated: Check out my 50k Race Recap and my Lessons Learned from 50k Training

18 comments:

  1. As you know, I definitely agree with the tweet from Ron DeLozier II, a 50k is much closer to a marathon + a cool down than a 50 miler.

    This plan looks much safer, without the 30+ mile weekends that need a full week of recovery. Your running here will be much more CONSISTENT, which is so important.

    If you do want to get some higher quality weekends in, don't be afraid to do a tempo effort run the Sunday after a Saturday long easy workout. That or if you have a lower volume weekend, do both runs with a few tempo miles in there.

    With the good weekends, you can probably get away with a tempo run during the week, and another run or two with a few 30 second strides or 10 second max hill sprints. With my athletes I usually start with the first week having 1 of each, and every week or so they get 1 more stride or max hill sprint added in. The other runs and days should all be very low effort, with a purpose of RECOVERY, not adding fitness.

    Week 10 for example. Wednesday can be an easy 3 miles, 5 miles moderate, and an easy 2 miles. Saturday is an easy 12, Sunday is similar to Wed. Every other run is a low effort easy pace.

    Next week, Wed or Thursday can include a few longer accelerations, Saturday is an easy long run, Sunday is an easy moderate distance run.

    Just because you're now in ultra territory, does not mean you can ignore your speed and strength running ;) The faster you can run a 5k, the faster you can run a 50k!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kyle! I really appreciate all your input. I actually feel a lot more confident and excited about this training plan, and I think that is important as well. I've already started penciling in some tempo, strides, and hills!

      Delete
  2. I am just following the journey! I am too much of a newbie to have an opinion lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your input is always helpful Karen! :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome!! I am stealing it!!
    Only kidding, but I am tempted to. Our mileage will be very similar, except that you are doing back to back longer runs, and I am not. My mileage is also balanced throughout the week, but I am wondering if I will miss the big picture by not doing the back to back long runs. Well, it looks like you are in good hands with all sorts of good advice!
    I think you are going to rock this 50k, E!
    smalltownrunner.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to borrow it Raina! You usually get in a lot more trail miles than me, so I am sure you will be well prepared! I think we will both be rocking it!

      Delete
  4. BTW.. monday is also my "day off".. we should plan something! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey...i'm a new reader :)

    i have no advice, since i've never ran more than a marathon, but i totally agree with you that it feels like it should be similar to marathon training with the back-to-back aspect.

    when choosing a training plan for any race that i'm doing i like to look at it as a whole and feel a little excited, a little challenged, and know that it will build my confidence for whatever distance i'm training for. looks like this one does all of that. good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn! I completely agree, a training plan should make you excited and nervous at the same time!

      Delete
  6. I included speed, hills and trails when I trained for yesterday's 50K race and I'm glad I did. You're smart to revise as you go along - I did that, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks for the input Tina. Heading over to read your recap now!

      Delete
  7. So how did it go? I'm set to run my first 50k in mid-May and just came across your blog when I was looking for training plans. Anything you wish you'd done differently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went well! I really liked this plan and will be using it again, but I will devote more miles to terrain similar to the race terrain. I wrote a whole post about my lessons learn (find it here if you are interested: http://running-on-eb.blogspot.com/2014/09/lessons-learned-from-my-first-50k.html ). There is also a link to my race report in that post. Best of luck with your first 50k! What race are you doing?

      Delete
    2. Sweet, thanks! I'm running Sun Mountain in Washington in May.

      Delete
    3. Good luck! I'm excited to hear how it goes!

      Delete
  8. I just stumbled on this via Pinterest- this was exactly what I've been looking for! I've been a runner for 15 years and want to do an ultra on my own time this summer (no races) but all the 50k plans I could find were more geared to 50 miler. I started wondering if ppl knew there was a difference :) thank you so much for this plan! If you ever do a 50 miler - post a plan!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat! I am glad it is helpful for you. I created it for the same reason. I was only finding monsterous 50 miler programs and needed something more manageable. I hope your training goes well! Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions. I am beginning to consider a 50 miler (just have to find the right one) and I will definitely design and post a new plan when I do! Happy running!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...