Monday, May 19, 2014

50k Training Recap Week 1: 5/12-5/18

This week was set up to be week 1 of my 50k training plan version 2 and I was all excited to get going after last week's training plan development session.  But it's started out with a whimper. Do not despair. I've got 15 more weeks to make up for it.

Monday: Woke up with a kink in my neck/upper back.  You know the kind where you just need to pop your back so you can move more normally?  Unfortunately the Jayhawk was unwilling to do it because he was afraid he would break my neck.  Spent the day uncomfortable, with slightly restricted movement. I figured a good night sleep and laying down would cure me.
Planned: Rest   Actual: Rest
Ran into this guy on my long run this week.
Tuesday: Awoke to find that my neck/back was significantly worse. So bad the Jayhawk had to roll me over because I couldn't do it myself. I had very restricted movement in my neck and upper back. Took the day off from work and periodically heated and stretched as well as I could.
Planned: 5 miles easy   Actual: None :(

Wednesday: Went to work. Thank goodness I have a swivel chair. Mobility was much better, but still had restricted neck/upper back movements.  I did go to the gym.  Before you think I am nuts, my goal was to get warmed up really well so I could stretch.  The stretching was a huge help!
Planned: 6 mile tempo run   Actual: 30 minute bike ride (9.36 miles, Ave 18.72 miles/hour)
 Mid-long run ocean selfie.
Thursday: New woman. Majority of movement is restored. Still feels like a have a charlie horse in my neck/shoulder, but was able to fully dress myself and comb my hair, which is actually rare on a normal day.
Planned: 5 miles easy   Actual: 5 miles easy! (8:45/mile pace)
Salt marsh viewing on my long run.
Friday: Yay! Friday! I did definitely feel some neck stiffness this morning, but am basically functional.  If my discomfort lasts through the weekend, I am going to head to see a sport massage therapist/chiropractor next week. I continue to heat and stretch best I can.
Planned: Rest   Actual: Rest

Saturday: Even though I want to through some tempo work into my longer runs during the training plan, I decided to keep all workouts easy for this week because of the neck thing.  I was not running in Atlanta and I was treated to some very flat terrain.  I wonderful change. Flat routes bring a whole new pace to easy workouts.
Planned: 8 miles Actual: 8miles easy (8:35/mile pace)
Sunday: Kept it easy again.  For the most part the back is back to normal (see what I did there?).  I still am having some muscle tightness and probably could benefit from a good massage.
Planned: 4 miles  Actual: 4 miles easy (8:40/mile pace)
Post-run lighthouse climbing with Mom and Dad!
Overall, week 1 of 50k training went well. A little scare to start the week, but I think it was a severe muscle knot or something.  Will keep an eye on it and continue to stretch it out.

How was your week?

13 comments:

  1. i had the same kind of thing happen last week! although mine was just behind my shoulder blade, so it didn't restrict my movement too much. but it was so painful!!!! i had to get a massage and do lots of stretching to finally get it to release.

    i had to step back most of my running plans for the week too!

    glad that you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Sorry to hear you were in pain, but I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happened to. It kind of freaked me out! Thanks Dawn!

      Delete
  2. Not the ideal way to start out week one but I think you did a great job overcoming it and getting a great week. I could learn a lot from how you changed your plan based on how your body was feeling. I don't do that enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really didn't have a choice about taking time off the first few days, but the pain scared me enough to make me take it easy the rest of the week. I'm not usually this good about changing things up!

      Delete
  3. At least you got feeling better and had some speedy runs :) I love all the pictures and beautiful views. Have you had that kind of kink before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! This had never happened to me before, so it kind of freaked me out a bit. Seems like it's a lot better now with just a specific point of tightness. Hopefully it continues to break up!

      Delete
  4. At least it happened during week 1 and not during the peak in your training schedule. lol. I wish you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I think it would have really been a mental downer if it was week15. Thanks Captain!

      Delete
  5. So glad your neck is feeling better now! That was good bike ride and great idea to heat and stretch.
    Way to adapt!
    Also- great running pace! That's very speedy for easy running . You are going to be rocking the 50k. :)

    smalltownrunner.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raina! Most of my runs last week were on very flat terrain, but I am back in Atlanta, so the hills and heat will cause those paces to slow down!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that you're feeling better now! Great week one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy! I took it easy for once and it helped!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...