Tuesday, May 27, 2014

50k Training Recap Week 2: 5/19-5/25

Entering week 2 of 50k training, my goal was to complete all my planned miles and incorporate 2 days of strength training.  I haven't added in specific speed workouts yet as I am just trying to get use to the routine of higher weekly miles and figure out the best routes to get them in. I've also focused heavily on recovery this week to make sure my legs and hydration are ready for the next day. My neck/shoulder is feeling significantly better, so there might be something to that whole idea of taking it easy when you're injured.

Monday: Why is the weather always cooler on rest days? Anyone have this problem? Though it may not look that much cooler from the weather stats, Monday was so much cooler than the rest of the week. Thank you clouds. I celebrated by grilling out for dinner.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest

Tuesday: Body is feeling mostly back to normal. I do still have some tightness in my neck and shoulder at the end of the day, but nothing that restricts my ability to be a functioning human.  I celebrated by adding strength training back in (arms and abs) and was no worse for the wear. Yay for taking it easy and having it help! Feel like a responsible athlete.
Planned: 5 miles easy  Actual: 5 miles (8:44/mile pace)

Wednesday: For today's run I headed over to Lullwater park to get in some trail miles.  It was a hot one (high 80s) and the shade did offer a little relief. Though I had not planned any speed work, a new sign in the park caused me not to lollygag on my laps. I ran 4 laps of the reservoir (0.9 miles each) and then headed out of the park to complete my runcommute home. One small design flaw in my planned route was that I ended up with two fairly long back to back climbs starting 4.5 miles into my run (0.5 miles out of the park to the start of my usual runcommute) and then another 0.4 mile climb only 0.4 miles later.  I was definitely feeling with on both of these climbs, but they served as some good training on not fresh legs.
Planned: 8 miles   Actual: 7.7  miles (9:09/mile pace)
Lovely. It probably should say "poison ivy and venomous snakes". Time to pick up the pace!
Thursday: Today found me back inside on the treadmill enjoying some flat terrain, air conditioning, and new sneakers!  Yep, I finally got around to buying new ones. I totally misread the description online and thought they were maroon and was more than a little shocked when I received a bright purple pair of sneakers in the mail. Seeing as my ability to get to the post office in a timely manner is lacking, I'll be rocking these Purple Mile Eaters for a few hundred more miles. Any ideas on what to name them?
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 5 miles (8:41/mile pace) + Leg Strength training+Foam Roller
Meet the Purple Mile Eaters. I swear I thought they were Maroon on-line.
Friday: My legs were definitely ready for some rest.
Planned: Rest   Actual: Rest and foam rolled

Saturday: I was more than a little slow getting going this morning, so I didn't start my run until around 9:30. It was a hot one. I spent most of the run trying to slow down and keep my pace easy, but I have a hard time running slow when I run alone. I'm really trying to have specific workouts this training cycle and learning to slow down will be an important part of that.  Anyone have any good tricks?
Planned: 10 miles  Actual: 10 miles (9:04/mile pace)

Sunday: Group run! I met up with a coworker and some of her running buddies for a 5 miler. They tend to run a slower pace and that really helped me slow down. It was a nice easy run with some new company. Great way to shake the legs out.
Planned:  6 miles   Actual: 5.3 miles (9:54/mile pace)

How was your week? Anyone race?

6 comments:

  1. Great week :) Your ten mile pace was still pretty speedy! I love the purple, I always think about the Flyin' purple people eater song lol when I see it :) Snakes scare me but I have found if you toss something near their heads they will usually slither off. Do you see snakes often?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I know, I really need to slow things down and the heat of summer will probably help me do that. Georgia has the highest density of snakes out of all the states. I don't often see them while running because I'm in the city or in popular running trails, but they are definitely there!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a great week! Wow, snakes would definitely get me to run faster!!
    What kind of shoes are those? I just got some Mizuno's for the first time last week, and wore them for my half on Saturday. I love them! I also love bright, flashy colors, but I'm weird like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are Sauconys. I love loud sneakers too, I just wasn't expecting the purple! I'm starting to really like them.

      Delete
  3. those shoes are awesome!!! love it.

    i totally agree...the weather always teases me when i've committed to taking the day off. always. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn! They should definitely make me more visible to cars!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...