Friday, May 30, 2014

Friday Five: New

1. New States! I love traveling, and next week I get to visit two new states that I've never been to: Kansas and Missouri. Very excited to explore (and race) in new places. If anyone has any must-sees in the Kansas City area, let me know! The Jayhawk has already put a moratorium on anymore Wizard of Oz jokes (my favorite movie), but he can't stop me from sharing a few with you! Sadly, since my new sneakers are not maroon like I hoped, there will be no ruby slipper jokes.
 
Somewhere in the middle of America.
2. New hydration option. I've been testing out a new hydration/salt replacement option, The Right Stuff, on my hot/long runs recently to replace the epic amounts of sweat I am putting out. I really think hydration and fueling are going to be the key elements to my success in August for the big 50k. Full review coming soon!
3. New Shoes. Ok, I've gotten over the fact that my new shoes are so grape-tastic and I am really starting to like the Purple Mile Eaters (AKA Saucony Ride 6). We've spent 27+ miles together and no complaints so far. They are lighter and a little stiffer than my last pair, with a lower heel to toe drop.
First Purple Mile Eaters shoe selfie.
4. New item on the Calendar: Estes Park Marathon For all those who pay close attention to my upcoming events (it's all of you I'm sure), I've added a race for June! I'm lucky enough to be heading somewhere pretty darn awesome for work and it just so happened there was a stunning marathon in the area! Since the race takes place above 7000 feet, I will be doing the half and using it for training/beautiful picture taking.
Um, Like I was going to miss out on this? (Source)
 5. New GPS watch. My garmin 305 is both ancient and totally on the fritz. It has good days and bad days, so I'm starting to look into options for replacing it. What do you all use? Do you love it? I'm looking for something that will do all the basics but not break the bank.
 
Have a great weekend!

16 comments:

  1. We stayed in Estes Park and hiked in the Rocky Mountains while we were there. Lots of fun and beautiful mountains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not staying in Estes unfortunately, but I am close enough that I can pop over on race day because they offer race day bib pick up!

      Delete
  2. You have so many awesome events coming up! I am having race envy lol I am excited to hear what you think about the salt replacement. I didn't even think about the maroon and OZ! I loved that movie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! It should be a busy month! Now just to find time to write about it all! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous you get to run in Estes Park! I thought about potentially doing that race for Colorado, but the altitude and hills combined really freak me out.

    I have a Garmin Forerunner 10. It definitely lacks a lot of features, mainly no programming of intervals and no heart rate monitor, but I love it! It's only around $100 and comes in a bunch of different colors. The only drawback might be the battery only seems to last 5-5.5 hours. You seem a lot speedier than me, so maybe that wouldn't even be an issue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Estes Park race worked out with my work travel schedule. It definitely won't be one to run for time, but the idea of running through Estes at sunrise got me.

      Thanks for the Garmin 10 info!

      Delete
  4. I also have the Garmin Forerunner 10. It's pretty basic, but all I really need. I don't even use a lot of the options on it. Just average pace/total time/splits. I purchased it on Amazon last year for $120. Battery life is pretty good. I charge it every couple runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki! There are so many options to sort through. It really helps to hear what people have had luck with!

      Delete
  5. Estes Park sounds awesome, glad it works into your schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't lie, I am really excited about it. Not excited how much the altitude will burn, but small price to pay!

      Delete
  6. That marathon looks gorgeous! Enjoy the half. Can't wait to hear all about it. And see the pictures. :) Your new purple mile eaters are pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clarinda! I already promised myself to not care about my time for Estes so I will be better about taking photos!

      Delete
  7. That marathon sounds awesome. Have fun with that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have the garmin 610, a birthday gift from a few years ago. i LOVE it. it does lots of cool things that i don't know that i "need" but it's fun to have :) i'm obsessed with all things garmin. i have some friends that got the 220 and i love that it uploads automatically to their phones. i really wish that mine did that....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, automatic phone uploads sounds pretty awesome. Thanks for the info!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...