Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Training Recap: 5/5-5/11

Monday: 2.5 miles of speedwork on the beach (7:42/mile average pace) with the Jayhawk joining me on the bike.  I would do speedwork more often if it was always on the beach.
45 minute bike ride (both on the beach and road).

Tuesday: To honor the anniversary of Roger Bannister's 4 minute mile, I went out and ran a 4 minute mile. Ok, not really.
Strength training: core work (bicycle crunches, planks, hip bridges), squats, lunges

Wednesday: 4.75 miles easy (8:47/mile average) trail-ish running (or as close as I can get to it in the city).  4 laps of the reservoir in Lullwater park plus the mileage to get to and from there.

On the Emory University campus there is a small park, Lullwater park, with 3 loops (2 paved, 1 not).  The loops are fairly short (0.8,0.9, and 1.2 miles), but when combined together they make a nice workout.  The 0.9 mile loop goes around a reservoir and is mostly unpaved (mix of wooded trail and gravel fire road).  The park is almost entirely shaded by trees, which when combined with the lack of car heat makes it 5-10 degrees cooler than my runcommute. A welcome change as the city has already heated up! It's great option for getting in trail-ish miles during the week.

Thursday: 3.1 miles easy (8:35/mile average)

Friday: Rest as we drive back to South Carolina to see more family that have joined the vacation.

Saturday: Hour long bike ride.

Sunday: Rest.

How was your week?

12 comments:

  1. Nice week. Run with shade, I'll take one of those please. Out here in AZ is either early am or late pm to avoid the heat, it's brutal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can only imagine how hot your runs in AZ are. If it makes you feel any better, it's rather humid here, so we can only get limited relief in the shade. I'm sure you have to buy suncreen in bulk!

      Delete
  2. Speed work on the beach sounds fun! I'm on staycation this week, so it's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, staycation! Very jealous. I have an seemingly endless list of things I would like to accomplish on staycation, but it never seems to happen. Enjoy your time off! :)

      Delete
  3. I love the beach but sadly can't run out there. I always get severe shin splints. Where in South Carolina did you guys visit? Good job on that 4 minute mile :). Can you imagine? That would be something else. Great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bummer about the beach running. :(
      Thanks Lacy! I trained very hard for that mile. :P

      Delete
  4. Beach running tough!! That must have been a quite a workout. We've had some HOT temps here.
    Congrats on that 4 minute mile ;) !!! In sand even...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really heating up down here too!

      I do what I can! :P

      Delete
  5. The Emory trails look like a nice change up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun little addition to my local routes!

      Delete
  6. How did you run that fast on the beach?! A 4 minute mile :) I can't imagine how fast that feels lol Great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beach was hard packed which really helped and not crowded. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...