Sunday, June 1, 2014

50k Training Week 3: 5/26-6/1

Monday: Enjoyed a nice day off from work with the Jayhawk and relaxed.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest

Tuesday: Introduced the Purple Mile Eaters to the treadmill. Their treads are almost too new where they feel a little slippery on the treadmill, but nothing a few more road miles won't fix. Did arms and core strengthening.
Planned: 5 miles   Actual: 5 miles (8:40/mile pace)

Wednesday: I had hoped to do a tempo style run, but it was insanely humid and by mile 3 I just didn't think it was going to happen because I was having a lot of trouble finding another gear. Around 4.75 miles into the run I started to hear thunder and then a block later the lightening began. It was rather close by, causing me to pick up the pace a bit (for some reason it's easier to do speed work when potential electrocution is on the line) and head for home. I never actually got rained on, but I could tell that it had rained in all the neighborhoods close to home so I decided not to tempt fate and called it at 7.7 when I arrived home. So, yes, I got in my tempo run. I also ate a bug during the run, but that was my only fueling. Foam rolled for recovery.
Planned: 8 miles   Actual: 7.7 miles (8:34/mile pace)
Still crazy after all these years.
Thursday: Got in some impromptu speed work in the morning when Mia Monster decided to chase a cat while out on our walk. At no point was I worried about the cat, more the potential for a car hitting my monster, so I sprinted around like a nut to make sure traffic slowed down as the she-beast finished her chase. No cats or dogs were harmed during the event. Maybe it's her new dog food, but that old girl has got some impressive speed including a very explosive start. I could learn a lot from her especially about the importance of rest. Got in a run later and well as some core work. Foam rolled and had a beer for recovery.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 5 miles (8:44/mile pace)

Friday: I was really happy for Friday to arrive. I may have rested a little too hard.
Planned: Rest   Actual: Rest
Beer makes everything better, right?
Saturday: Needed a recovery day after Friday's rest day (read: I was a little hungover).  Thank heavens the Jailhouse Brewery 5k that the Jayhawk and I were running wasn't until 6pm.  I'm not a big 5k runner, but the promise of craft beer at the finish gets me every time. There was a quick rainstorm at the end of the race, but it all cleared in time for the tasting. Full recap coming tomorrow.
Planned: 8 miles   Actual: 3.1 miles (7:46/mile pace)

Sunday: Moved Saturday's long run to Sunday and Sunday's run will happen on Monday.  A little shifting in the schedule to make everything work and get in all my miles. Nothing too exciting to report about this run except that it was a mere 16 hours after the brewery 5k and I felt no ill effects, but was a little tired.  Foam rolled for recovery.
Planned: 6 miles   Actual: 8.5 miles (8:58/mile pace)

How was your week? Any races, impromptu animal chases, or wildlife consumption on your runs?

6 comments:

  1. I like that Mia has spunk! You had a great week. I love a cold beer or glass of wine, but it does impact my runs...sadly lol I hate swallowing bugs! I've had a few already this season too...sometimes they feel stuck in my throat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia is a total nut still! That bug was stuck in my throat for a half a mile. I think I drank a liter just trying to get rid of it!

      Delete
  2. Awesome workout week. And glad Friday's rest day was so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! It was maybe too fun! :P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...