Sunday, June 15, 2014

50k Training Week 5: 6/9-6/15

Monday:  I thought about going for a run after missing Sunday's workout, but I honestly didn't think I could keep it light. I was still riding a high after Saturday's Hospital Hill Run Half and didn't think it was smart to go out and run too hard.
Planned: Rest   Actual: Rest

Tuesday: Stayed inside on the treadmill mostly because I knew I could control the pace and keep it light. Felt a little sluggish, but no aches, pains, or other issues. Yay!
Planned: 5 miles   Actual: 5 miles (8:47/mile pace)

Wednesday: Was back inside due to impending rain.  Probably best because it allowed me to control the pace for another day.  Nothing has felt off since Saturday's race, I'm just trying to take my training and recovery more seriously (i.e. not push when not needed). Rolling and compression for recovery.
Planned: 6 miles   Actual: 6 miles (8:44/mile pace)
Behold, Doc Broc!
Thursday: A 5k was held on work this morning to celebrate Men's Health week. My coworkers and I thought it was only for men, so we were a little bummed when we went down to cheer on our male coworker and found out it was coed. I did have running stuff in my office for my afternoon run, but nothing for a shower.  Next time I will be prepared. On a happy note, I did get to meet Doc Broc, a piece of Broccoli dressed up as a doctor to teach kids and adults about healthy eating.
Planned: 5 miles   Actual: 5 miles (8:42/mile pace)

Friday: Rested like a champ (but not like a few weeks ago!). I was tired and ready for a little extra rest. Sometimes I think the mental break of a rest day is just as important as the physical.
Planned: Rest   Actual: Rest
My new Hospital Hill Run backpack in action!
Saturday: First big one of the training cycle. I was tired before I started, tired during it, and tired after it. The best thing I can say about the run, is that I got it done and really that is all I had to do. The sun came out right before mile 5 and shortly afterward I realized I was not carrying enough electrolytes, so I felt very blah by the end of the run.
Planned: 16 miles  Actual: 16.25 miles (9:32/mile pace)
A labor of love.
Sunday: Legs felt a little heavy in the morning and I wasn't able to run until the afternoon because of Father's Day bowling in the morning (new favorite strength training exercise, great lunge workout for one side of you body). Due to the heat (90+), I ran inside and kept it light. Over all, feeling good after a big mileage week!
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 5.75 (8:49/mile)
Recovery athletics at it's best.
More traveling to one of my most favorite places is on tap for next week with another half marathon.  I promise this one is only a training run because it takes place at 7000+ feet and I have no business pushing the pace at altitude or so close to last week's race. My race goal is to soak in all the pretty views.

How did your week shape up? Any excitement on tap?

12 comments:

  1. Great week. Cannot wait to hear about your next half. Bummer about the work 5K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby. I'm only a little bummed about the work 5k. Showering at work seems like a lot of hassle. I guess that makes me sound a bit lazy. :P

      Delete
  2. Way to be conscious of your rest days. I am stealing your runs on the treadmill. My legs are still a bit tired from Sat run and the treadmill will be a great way to monitor my pace. Ah that stinks about the 5k at work, at least you know for next time. Nice long run, I know it's tough running on tired legs, but so necessary to increasing our fitness level. 7000+ feet of elevation, that is tough right there. Very smart to change your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Respecting rest has become more and more important as the mileage keeps going up. Running at altitude will sure be interesting! I'm expecting a lot of lung burning.

      Delete
  3. Nice job on the 16 miles or 25 km in my world :) I love your race goal of "soak in the views." I need to do that much more often! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal! :) Hope you have a great week too. Sounds like you have a great plan for your upcoming 50k and marathon!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. He is scary! I thought it was fun they were trying to make a food mascot, but they could have made him a little goofier.

      Delete
  5. too bad you didn't get to run that 5k! :(

    good luck on the half this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn! Hopefully my lungs survive!

      Delete
  6. ha! Doc broc would have scared me as a kid, even though I like it now I think I may have been 20 before i even tried it lol Awesome week of training, your 16 miler was a pretty speedy run :) Enjoy the race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I did not feel so speedy during that one, but it's done!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...