Monday, June 23, 2014

50k Training Week 6: 6/16-6/22

Greetings from Colorado!  Though I am out here for work, I am lucky enough that work doesn't occupy 24 hours of my day and I've been able to get in a little running.  To be honest, when I found out I was coming to Colorado, I was excited for two things: altitude training and visiting some of my favorite breweries. I'm really my bosses dream employee. :P

Monday: Took the day off and watch a pretty kick-ass USA v. Ghana soccer game.  Managed to still get my heart rate up on a rest day! :D
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest

Tuesday: Nothing too exciting to report about this treadmill run, except at one point during my run, I saw some flailing out of the corner of my eye.  At first I thought the Jayhawk was having some sort of muscle spasm while on the exercise bike, but then I remembered he was watching the Mexico v. Brazil game and  he was just cheering and getting really into it. Thank heavens I didn't have to stop my run to check on him. :P 
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 5 miles (8:44/mile pace)

Wednesday: A lot of new things happened today. The heat has been a little crazy this week and I don't know about you, but running 8 miles (with 4 miles at tempo) in 95+ degree heat after a day of work doesn't get me excited. In fact, I'm not sure it's even medically recommended. So, in order to get some faint hint of speed work done, I did something I've never done before: I ran before work. I knew getting in 8 miles before work was reaching, so I planned out a quick 3+ miler. I also did two other new things (rather then saving them to try out during a race like I always seem to do): I tried out compression socks on the run and my new handheld. Contrary to my awesomely crabby looking smile, my morning run was a success and I am thinking about doing it again. I was still mostly asleep during the first mile (I was bed to street in under 7 minutes, which out of context sounds really bad), but the last 2+ felt like I was pushing the pace a little more. I also still got to work on time. Win-win. Picked up the other 4.5 miles after work on the treadmill.
Planned: 8 miles  Actual: 3.4 miles (8:22/mile pace) and 4.5 miles with 2 miles at tempo (8:32/mile pace; 8:16 and 8:04 for tempo miles)
I'm just a little ray of sunshine at 6am.
Thursday: Second attempt at morning running. Didn't go as well. I might need to fuel a little if I am going to run longer than 3.5 because I was absolutely dragging through it. Maybe it was also due to the fact that it was my 3rd run in 24 hours (and it wasn't even a Ragnar).  Either way, thinking of carrying liquid carbs in my bottle or having an Island Boost before my next am run.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 4.7 miles (9:06/mile pace)

Friday: I took a glorious 36 hours off between runs this time and then moved part of Saturday's workout to Friday to give my legs a mini rest before Sunday's race.
Planned: Rest  Actual: 5 miles (8:46/mile pace)
Carboloading on the plane and at Left Hand Brewing.
Saturday: Traveling!
Planned: 10 miles  Actual: None, but I did walk around the ATL airport a lot. It's basically a city.
Pulling into Estes at sunrise. Oh look, it's 7500+ feet up! :)
Sunday: Estes Park Half Marathon! Easily the most stunning course I've ever run. Full review coming. I felt pretty good throughout the race, and put in some extra work in the afternoon by giving a 2 hour presentation on tired feet.
Planned:  10 miles  Actual: 13.1 miles (9:38/mile pace)

Milestone of the week: The Purple Miles Eaters broke 100 miles. They grow up so quick.

Odd question for the week: Do you all get emails when I reply to your comments?  I try to reply to every one's comments, but I wondered if you received notification of them. Just checking.

Coming soon: Another contest! The theme for this one will be "Beat the Heat"!

11 comments:

  1. I can't believe you are in week 6 of training already. Did you get to see much in CO? It's so pretty! How did you like the handheld bottle? Great job on the half! I am going to click the notify me and see of it happens :) I think I get emails, but I tend to go back through posts through the week also. So, you will need new shoes by Sept. right lol You are loading some miles on pretty quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it's week 6 either! It's going by so quickly. I only got to see a little in CO (I'll include more pics on next week's post), but is was so refreshing to escape the heat.

      Delete
    2. I got email notification ;) , escaping the heat is always a treat.

      Delete
  2. Great job this week! It sounds like you guys have been watching as much soccer as we have. There have been so many good games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's hard not to get sucked into the soccer games! Unfortunately I missed Sunday's game as my presentation was scheduled at the same time!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good week. Good job with the morning runs, they are hard to get used to at first. lol. I get email notifications if I click the Notify me box, otherwise I don't get an email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Captain. I'm slowly getting use to the morning thing, though I think I had a big set back due to jet lag. Booo.

      Delete
  4. awesome job getting in runs before work! that is so hard to do. and it's really really hard for me to do speedwork in the morning. i'm just not always awake enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn! I agree. I've had trouble running quickly in the early morning. My body (and mind) just are not awake yet. I'm great at zoning out and running easy though. :P

      Delete
  5. I thought for sure I commented. Colorado is awesome, I want to go so bad for the elevation training and the famous 14ers. Wed sounded awesome but I have to call shenanigans on the 95* heat. Getting up to 110 here in AZ lol. Can't wait for the Estes Park recap.


    Heat Run contest, almost seems unfair when you live in a blazing hot desert lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colorado was awesome and I didn't want to leave. Yes, you have higher temps, but we have much higher humidity (think sauna).

      I'll try my best to make it fair so even those folks lucky enough to have cool temps have a chance.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...