Monday, June 30, 2014

50k Training Week 7: 6/23-6/29

For the start of this week, I was still in Colorado.  I shifted around my schedule a bit to make the most out of my days at altitude and account for long travel days.

Monday: A little shake out run after Sunday's half Marathon in Estes Park. My legs and lungs felt great thanks to keeping a light pace during the race. Yay for a successful attempt at running smart!
Planned: Rest  Actual: 3.5 miles (8:50/mile pace)
Such a lovely day in Fort Collins.
Tuesday: Explored the walking/biking trails of Fort Collins a bit before work. They were incredibly well maintained and positioned throughout the city. Colorado takes it's cycling seriously and there were trails, bike lanes, and cyclists everywhere. I really could get use to that.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 4.75 miles (8:40/mile pace)
Always important to bring snacks on the plane.
Wednesday: After some crazy over night storms including ping-pong sized hail and over 2 inches rain, I had to head back to the south. The cool Colorado weather  and dry air spoiled me as Atlanta was even hotter than I remembered. Back to the three H's of the ATL (Heat, Humidity, and Hills).
Planned: 8 miles Actual: None (traveling)
There were drifts of hail in the morning, 7 hours later!
Thursday: I went for a run. It was good.  Nothing special to report.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 5 miles (8:45/mile pace)

Friday: The Monster was up most of the night sick, so I was up tending to her. Then she got stung in the face by a bug and half her face was all swollen. Good thing it was a rest day.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest

Saturday: First day off from work in almost 2 weeks. To celebrate, I allowed myself to sleep in and recover from tending to the Monster. This meant it was far too hot to run outside by the time I got up, so I did what this woman has never done before: I ran on the treadmill. For 18 miles. In a row. This run was definitely more challenging mentally than physically and I am really glad I did it.  If you can amuse yourself for 18 miles while staring at a wall, then you can surely keep your body moving on far more lovely courses.  The highlight was when I got home and found that the Jayhawk and little Running Buddy had bought me the big bag of Swedish fish AND they were making cupcakes from scratch. This is one of the many reasons they are awesome.
Planned: 18 miles  Actual: 18 miles (8:56/mile pace)

Sunday: I was tired and there was a lot of sweat involved, but I did it. Celebrated with more Swedish fish.
Planned:  8 miles  Actual: 8.4 miles (9:06/mile pace)

How was your week? Any fun races or runs?

12 comments:

  1. Great job knocking out the long run on the treadmill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did five miles on the treadmill last week and nearly went insane...congrats on doing 18! I can't even imagine it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was odd, because yesterday's 5 miler on the treadmill seemed infinitely harder. It's all about state of mind. I knew I couldn't get off until it was done, so I just relaxed.

      Delete
  3. Holy cow 18 miles on the treadmill?! I can barely do one. That is impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I never thought I would be able to do it. It was just a way to challenge myself.

      Delete
  4. I swear I commented yesterday. So glad your legs are feeling good after the race. It is awesome when communities take pride in maintaining their outdoor activities, nice parks, trails, etc. Storms, what are those? We don't have those in AZ LOL. So sorry your little one wasn't feeling good, hope they get better soon. Wow 18 miles on the dreadmill, that is seriously hardcore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Sorry your comment was eaten! The little one that was ill was actually the dog, but given her English is poor, she required a lot of attention. The 18 was definitely a solid challenge. A good mental boost.

      Delete
  5. 18 on the TM is tough! A lot of it is mental and that's good race training. I'd love to be running in Estes Park! We've hiked near there, in Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park, and had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tough Tina, but I thought about it in segments which made it much easier to approach. Estes Park and Rocky Mountain Nation park are one of my favorite parts of the country!

      Delete
  6. An 18 miler on the TM...I don't even know what to say lol That is tough and mentally to keep pushing on is serious discipline. Hope you doggie is better! Great week of training :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Mia Monster is back to her usual self. She never stays down for long!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...