Monday, July 28, 2014

50k Training Week 11: 7/21-7/27

Ok, after last week's big step back week, I am back on track. I realized last week that part of the reason I was feeling a bit mentally burned out was because my usual routes are feeling stale. I run all my runs solo and many of them cover the same exact roads. So for the last 6 weeks of training, I am on a mission to mix it up a bit. In other good news, my toes are pretty much 100%. I do have 2 purple toenails, but that is what nail polish is for.


Monday: Switched Monday and Tuesday's workouts due to date night. Felt pretty much back to normal! :)
Planned: Rest  Actual: 5 miles (8:46/mile pace)

Tuesday: The Jayhawk and I went to the Fox Theater (old, iconic theater in downtown Atlanta) to see Beck. It was awesome.
Planned:  6 miles Actual: Rest
Inside the Fox theater.
Wednesday: Took the day off to take care of some stuff and tried to get in my 20 miler for the week. Went out to Stone Mountain for a change of pace to get in a hilly (2900 feet of gain) long run. Only made it 15 mile before the humidity won. Even my hydration pack was soaked in sweat.
Planned: 8 miles  Actual: 15 miles (9:16/miles pace)
Guess who learned how to use the self-timer on her phone (hint: this girl)
It was a pretty morning out by the rock.
 
Thursday: Wasn't feeling any ill effects after Wednesday's long run/sweatfest.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 4 miles (8:46/mile pace)

Friday: Rest and rolling!
Planned: Rest Actual: Rest

Saturday: It was hot and the run felt like a suffer fest. It just wasn't fun and it felt a bit defeating.
Planned: 20 miles  Actual: 5.15 miles (8:34/mile pace)

Sunday: Focused on having fun regardless of the number of miles. Explored new parts of Lullwater Park and still felt like I could finish strong. Still kept it hilly with ~1800 feet of climbing. Win-Win.
Planned: 8 miles  Actual: 10.15 miles (9:18/mile pace)

Interesting article in the NY Times this week about How our arms help us run.  Curious who the 13 experienced adult runners in Boulder might be. :)

If you ever wondered what makes the ultrarunning community different, this article sums it up pretty well. 

How was your week?  Any races or fun runs?

10 comments:

  1. Those are amazing new routes. I agree that sometimes you need run in new areas once and a while to keep it interesting. Great job on your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Captain. One of them is much easier to get to than the other, but it's nice to spice it up a bit. Hoping to utilize them more for the rest of the training cycle.

      Delete
  2. I love finding new routes which is one reason I like running on vacation so much. But I tend to run the same routes here too. I have a minimum 4 mile route. Recently I have changed that and like my new one much better. I am really pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love trying out new things on vacation too, but I tend to get stuck on certain routes around my home. On a mission to change that! Great job on changing your route up!

      Delete
  3. Great pictures :) I love you went more miles than planned. Glad you feet are feeling better! you are doing a great job with your pace in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I'm working on my running photography.

      Delete
  4. I need to spice up my routes also! I was so bored on my run last night. You have some beautiful views on your routes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found I was getting really bored too and it just wasn't motivating me to run. Go mix it up! Run your route backwards or try a new neighborhood.

      Delete
  5. Your park runs are so pretty. Love that there are so many gorgeous areas around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! Sometimes it's nice to feel like you're not running in the city (even if you are)!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...