Monday, July 7, 2014

50k Training Week 8: 6/30-7-6

Monday: Switch Monday and Tuesday's workouts which actually means I ran a 50k between Saturday/Sunday/Monday. I was tired by the end of it, but in a good way.
Planned: Rest   Actual: 5 miles (8:44/mile pace)

Tuesday: I switched my rest day to Monday so I could hang out with this guy.
Yes, that is his Boston Marathon Medal!
Meb is in town for the Peachtree Road Race on the Fourth where he will be starting dead last and earning money for our track club's Kilometer Kids program for each person he passes. Kind of the coolest idea ever. I've raced against Meb several times, but I think this is the race where I will finally be him to the line!
Donna Decker sharing her Everest experience.
The event was put on by Generation UCAN, Meb's sports nutrition product of choice, and consisted of a Q&A followed by a meet and greet. Donna Decker, another UCAN athlete who used the product in her Everest summit in 2012 (in addition to that she was a professional runner and triathlete prior to her climbing days).  They both had a lot of wonderful things to say and some great words of wisdom.  I will try to put together a short post.
Planned: 5 miles   Actual: Rest

Wednesday: The Jayhawk and I went down to the Peachtree Road Race Expo after work to pick up our bibs and stock up on Nuun. It was fun to catch up with several of my Ragnar Trails Atlanta teammates working at various booths.  By the time we got home it was already 7pm and we hadn't had dinner. We each snuck in a quick run before we ate.
Planned: 6 miles   Actual: 4.25 miles (8:50/mile pace)
Getting excited at the PTRR Expo. Only 10k I know with a huge expo.
Thursday: Peachtree Road Race eve! Spent sometime getting my flair ready for the big day. It is essential for the block party like atmosphere of the race. This year is the 45th running of the PTRR and my 5th year (2013 PTRR Recap). I decided to take the day off, otherwise I would have 5 straight training days. To be honest, I felt rather overtired this week so I chose to pay extra attention to rest.
Planned: 5 miles   Actual: Rest
Just a bit of my flair before the race.
Friday: Peachtree Road Race! Mother Nature was extremely kind to us this year for the PTRR and the weather was perfect: in the 60s with a light breeze and minimal humidity....in ATL... in July. With corrals starting as late as 9am, the PTRR is known as an annual insane sweatfest, but not this year! To be honest, I was a little bummed the race was only a 10k. Why can't this happen on 20 miler days? Full recap coming soon.
Planned: 6.2 miles   Actual: 6.2 miles plus several miles of walking.

Saturday: Woke up to find that Mother Nature was still being sweet to us. I quickly tied on my shoes and set out for my long run. The weather even felt so good that I tacked on a few extra miles just because.
Planned: 10 miles  Actual: 13.5 miles (9:03/mile pace)
Those silly kids down at Emory put soap in the fountains again.
Sunday: Recovery run day.
Planned: 6 miles   Actual: 6 miles (8:48/mile pace)

How was your week?  Did you do anything special for the 4th?

12 comments:

  1. How cool that you got to race with Meb... and that the race had such great weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather was awesome. With so many runners, I didn't see Meb on the course.

      Delete
  2. That's so awesome you got to race with Meb, and what a cool thing he was doing at that race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome of him. He spoke at the finish and it was pretty funny to hear his thoughts of being in the pack!

      Delete
  3. How awesome. Meb seems like the best reason for a rest day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth battling traffic to meet him!

      Delete
  4. That's awesome to meet Meb! I love the fundraiser idea...very cool :) You had a fantastic week of running, I am living vicariously lol My runs have been preety boring. Isn't that great to have a random cool day in July...have to love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fundraiser was genius. Thanks to the new Atlanta Track Club Director for coming up with it!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had perfect weather for the race. I can't wait to read your recap, I want to do that race next year!
    I wonder how many people Meb ended up passing, probably most of them!
    I didn't do anything special for the 4th. Just watched some neighbors do fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peachtree is pretty amazing. It's a little insane to see so many runners in one race. Heads up, there is a lottery in March to get into the race.

      Delete
  6. So cool you got to meet Meb and the race idea where he runs people down is awesome. I would totally do that. Nothing better than amazing weather on race day. Wow, way to get out for your long run even after the race.

    For the 4th - um yeah I kinda got married lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats! What a way to celebrate! Every year there will be fireworks for your anniversary!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...