Monday, July 14, 2014

50k Training Week 9: 7/7-7/13

Ok, folks, we are in the meat of it. It's time to get serious. 6 weeks left until race day and a whole lot of miles on the calendar. Not gonna lie, just reading that makes me a little tired and super hungry for that matter.  I'll be holding a fundraiser for my grocery bill.

Monday: Foam rolled and added in a yoga pose or two.  I've joined Clarinda's Birthday streak challenge, but because I need to respect and maintain my non-running days, I'm doing the yoga-running challenge. Stop by and check out her challenge and wish her a Happy Birthday! She is even giving out presents to streakers. Who gives away presents on their birthday??!
Planned: Rest   Actual: Rest
Tried to take a picture of my trusty foam roller in its spot next to the dog toy box, but the Monster totally photo bombed it and then threw dog toys at me. 
Tuesday: The Purple Mile Eaters reached 200 miles on this run.  They grow up so quick. I'm thinking about buying another pair.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 5 miles (8:40/mile pace)
I realized after I posted this that the filter makes my legs look dirty. I promise I shower. And use soap.
Wednesday: This was not a pretty run. Initially I planned to run at the gym because of a 60% chance of t-storms, but when I arrived all of the treadmills were occupied.  A little miffed, I decided to head home, grab my gear, and run outside. I started my run in the heart of rush hour (5pmish) which is around my normal runcommute time, but I don't know if it was the phase of the moon or what, but it was bad driver night. Like seriously bad (I saw multiple blown red lights and had to call one gentleman a 7 letter word for almost turning through me). By 2 miles in, I decided to head back home because of the crappy displays of driving.  It was a good thing too.  Before I even hit mile 3, I ran out of water.  SO arrived home hot, bothered, and unfulfilled. Given how my luck was going for the run, I cut my losses and called it a day at 4 miles.
Planned: 6 miles   Actual: 4 miles (8:49/mile pace)
Thursday: My legs felt tight. Really tight. I tend to find that days after a 'bad' run, I don't feel as good which makes me think that there was a reason for the 'bad' run (dehydration, poor fueling, bad striding, etc). Not exactly how you want to feel less than 48 hours out from a long trail race. I rolled a lot after my workout and paid extra special attention to my hydration and electrolyte balance.
Planned: 4 miles  Actual: 4 miles (8:44/mile pace)

Friday: When I actually did the math and thought about tomorrow's race, I started to get nervous. Not only is it the longest trail race of my life (just over 24 miles), but I had a couple of not so stellar runs this week (I'm not feeling at the top of my mental game). To calm my fears, I set some logical and obtainable pre-race goals:
  1. Finish! This is only supposed to be a training race.
  2. Relax! This is only supposed to be a training race.
  3. Focus on what you can learn! This is only supposed to be a training race.
Did a lot of foam rolling and work with the stick to help loosen up my legs.
Planned: Rest   Actual: Rest

Saturday: Troop Trot 39k!  I will post a full recap, but basically it was hot, humid, and then a little more humid. I finished, stayed pretty relaxed, and came out with a few lessons learned that I need to work on before the 50k. It was the longest trail run of my life and it the longest (time-wise) run I've ever done. Huge Thank You to Miranda at Miranda in Motion for her help at the aid station after loop 1 and 2! So nice to meet you. Sorry I wasn't more chatty, but hopefully we can meet up again pre-race next time!
Planned: 24 miles  Actual: 24.5 miles (13:07/mile pace including aid station stops)

Sunday: One of my lessons learned during Saturdays race was that I need new trail shoes (yes, bloody toes are back).  My toes are so chewed up and swollen that I opted to change up today's workout. Over all I feel pretty good after yesterday's race: mild quad soreness, a little upper ankle soreness, but my feet are the item that are holding me back for running. I did Runner's World Recovery Yoga video and I swear, I did all the poses perfectly. ;)
Planned: 6 miles   Actual: Recovery Yoga

For all of you that thought I was some kind of crazy for my 18 miler on a tread mill a few weeks ago, check out this guy, Fast Cory.  He ran 100 miler on a quarter mile track! I am totally in awe of him, but notice one of his points is that things that might seem "miserable" are actually the best kind of mental training. Cory writes a fun blog about his ultra training and racing. Great inspiration!

If you are looking for more hot weather training tips, Outside had a nice article with advice from elite ultramarathoners.

How was your week? Do you ever use a race as training for another?

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear about the 39K - you did great! Sorry about the bloody toes :( What trail shoe do you run in? I wore my Brooks one day (I don't know why really) and it was rough run on trail. Maybe it's mental but I felt like I couldn't get enough grip and my legs felt fatigued. You need a good trail shoe for your ultra event! Picking what to go with is always a challenge. I am streaking with Clarinda also :) I already blew it because I was feeling sick one day last week and didn't run but i am going to try to get as many days as possible :) Great week of runs for you, It amazes me what you are pulling off in the heat and humidity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I realized post race that I run in 9.5 on the road, but my trail shoes are still 9s. Ooops! I also need a much bigger toe box. Already shopping for new ones!

      Delete
  2. Awesome job on your 39k!! Can't wait to hear about it!
    I just read Cory's story. WOW. Actually I would love to do 100 miles on a track, but only if I had a friend to do it with. It would be hard doing it alone!
    Well, I signed up to do Clarinda's streak, but failed miserably! Oh well.
    Looks like you had a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find it so hard to remember to streak. I've started out ok on this one. Cory's story is awesome. I think having a crowd or people stopping in would really help!

      Delete
  3. A 50k through the English Channel Tunnel would be amazing!! So excited to read your recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chunnel would be cool, but probably hard to pull off. Recap coming soon!!

      Delete
  4. "Just learned the English Channel Tunnel is exactly 50k long. Who do we contact to get an #ultramarathon set up there?"

    Wow! Genius. This might actual cause me to become an ultra runner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the chunnel would be cool. Maybe some one will be savvy enough to figure out how to pull it off!

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to your recap. That is a bummer that your toes are bleeding again. Hope you figure out what the issue is this time. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Captain! Recap coming soon. Turns out, I have a lot to say about this one. Main problem was that my shoes are half a size to small. Realized post race.

      Delete
  6. It was great to meet you too! Congrats on finishing. It's a tough race. Sorry I didn't get to stick around to see you finish! See you at Snakebite if not before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your help Miranda! Definitely see you at Snakebite or one of the course runs!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...