Monday, August 4, 2014

50k Training Week 12 Recap: 7/28-8/3

August! It's August.  For Reals. *Breathing Deeply*

It's race month!  Time to start getting a little nutty about all the details for race day. I'm hoping to have a post up this week about what I am currently planning (sorry, it was a crazy week last week).

Monday: Rested like a champ.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest

Tuesday: On the treadmill.  I've made the conscious decision to treat my indoor and outdoor running a little differently. Indoor, where I have ac, I'm focusing on time and distance, where as outdoor, I'm focusing just on time on feet and in the heat (yes it rhymes). Let's be honest, there will be no 8 minute miles at Snakebite and I need to be comfortable running whatever pace for a longtime in the heat.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 6 miles (8:46/mile pace)

Wednesday: Outside in what can only be referred to as Christmas in July like weather.  We even hit a new record low here in the ATL (59 degrees!).  I didn't get to run until 4:30ish because of that whole job thing, but it was still pretty awesome for rush hour in the city. I headed down to Lullwater park and got in a few figure 8s on different trails. I didn't get to run as long as I hoped (you know, the buying groceries and feeding the family thing gave me a deadline), but it was a good one and I felt strong and happy during it. Great way to top off a hectic workday.
Planned: 10 miles  Actual: 6.46 miles (8:59/mile pace)
Thursday: Made advance plans with the Jayhawk run from work and runcommute home with the hope of catching some extra miles. I checked the weather, stashed my stuff in the car, and headed out. About 4 miles in a nasty storm blew in, the kind that brings inches of rain. I hid out in a bus stop for about 10 minutes hoping to get a hold of the Jayhawk, but unfortunately my phone was a little water logged. I made the decision just to swim run home and it ended up being a fun run.  For some reason, I run well in the rain (see Hospital Hill Run).
Planned: 8 miles  Actual: 7.4 miles (8:43/mile pace)
The city is so green from all the rain.
It was seriously raining.
Friday: Finally bought new trail shoes. If anyone would like a pair of lightly used size 9 Mizunos Trail shoes, drop me a line. I am willing to part with my old ones.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest
Yes, they are Seafoam green and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Saturday: Headed out not quite as early as I hoped, but the weather wasn't too bad. I ran through all my usual spots but added in a new bit by the natural history museum. I ended up with a very hilly route (forgot to pull my garmin stats) and I was happy that I still felt strong in the last few miles. I ran through the Emory campus twice, and found it a bit odd that so many cops were out on a Saturday morning in the summer. When I arrived home, I realized that I narrowly missed the arrival of the Ebola patient, a pretty big public health moment. How odd would it have been to see me running by Gupta on CNN? That's what I get for running negative splits.
Planned: 12 miles  Actual: 13.7 miles (8:58/mile pace)

Sunday: Ran the first 3 with the Jayhawk (in my new shoes) as part of his recovery run and the next 6 on the treadmill.  I wanted to give my legs a little break after all the climbing on Saturday.  I ended up having the gym to myself, so it turned into a recovery run/dance party thanks to James Brown, The Jackson 5, and Stevie Wonder. Yes, there was air drumming.
Planned: 10 miles   Actual: 9 miles (3 easy and 6 at 8:50/mile pace)

Inspiring and honest race recap from Hardrock 100 by Timmy Olson. I love that sacred fritos powered him through.

Interesting article from NPR this week about how runners should fear the heat more than the heart attack. Judging from how my hot workouts have gone lately, heat illness (including cramps) is something that poses a frequent effect on my workout.

How was your week?  Any excitement to report?

14 comments:

  1. Awesome runs this week! That would have been awesome if CNN would have caught some video of you running through the campus. I totally agree with NPR about the heat--I've felt very ill from running in the heat before and I can easily see why it's more dangerous. That's why I run early in the morning! Good luck with this week's training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! Knowing my luck, I would have tripped when I ran by the cameras. Probably for the best I missed it.

      Delete
  2. Holy cow, you are getting in the miles!!
    I love the photos. . and running in the rain can be awesome. It sure is green there.
    Not long til race day now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raina! The rain run was really nice once I stopped worrying about my drowning cellphone. :P

      Delete
  3. Good job on the runs this week. I enjoy running in the rain if I can. I just don't get many chances here in the desert though. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 59 degrees - I'm jealous! That post about how runners should fear the heat more than the heart attack is a good reminder of how serious the heat can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely Tina! Unfortunately I didn't run until later that day, but it was still nice!

      Delete
  5. Your training is looking awesome!! Love the new shoes! Super jealous of your cool weather, I cannot wait for fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! Sadly, the cool weather was short lived. We are back to hot, hot, hot!

      Delete
  6. Awesome mileage- way to go! The heat really wipes me out. I'd say I fear it more than a heart attack! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I've noticed a huge difference due to heat this summer. It's all about dropping pace and staying smart.

      Delete
  7. Impressive week of training! I like the seafoam color, pretty cool looking :) Weren't your legs tired after 13?! You really loaded the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I'm hoping the Seafoam gets a little dirty before raceday so I don't look like a total first timer! My legs are tired pretty often these days. Running on tired legs is part of the plan.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...