Monday, August 11, 2014

50k Training Week 13: 8/4-8/10

Three weeks to go! I can't believe it's almost time to taper. Oh the madness.

Monday: Vacuuming and foam rolling, cross-training regimen of champions.
Planned: Rest   Actual: Rest

Tuesday: Switched Tuesday's and Wednesday's workouts. Headed down to Lullwater park for a hot one to try out the new trail shoes. I managed to squeeze in about every surface possible (pavement, wooded trail, gravel road, grassy knoll). Overall the shoes felt good and spacious. They are definitely different from the purple mile eaters, but nothing bothered me about them.  The highlight of the run was when a little bunny raced me in the trees (he kicked my butt and was way too fast to get a picture). I was pretty achy later in the evening, probably due to the new shoes working my legs differently than my usual and probably the reason they always tell you to run in different types of shoes.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 8 miles (9:12/mile pace)
I love this random suspension bridge in the park.
Wednesday: No residual soreness or achiness from the new trail shoes. Headed back down to Lullwater for another hot one and did the hillier road loop in the purple mile eaters.
Planned: 8 miles  Actual: 6 miles (9:07/mile pace)

Thursday: Ran inside on the treadmill to get a little break from the heat. Nothing too exciting to report, but my legs did feel a bit tired.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 6 miles (8:50/mile pace)

Friday: I rested and it was good.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest
Longest run to nowhere.
Saturday: Received a sad text from the Jayhawk at the start of his 5k: The Garmin is dead. It's been getting a bit quirky, so this was not shocking, but still not what you want to hear the morning of a long run. With impending storms (I need dry sneakers for Sunday) and a phone that wouldn't be able to track for 3 hours (I like to make sure I have battery available in case of a real emergency), I did what I didn't want to do: headed indoors for another epic treadmill run. I decided to push the pace a bit during this run because it turns out the faster you run, the faster you can get off the treadmill.  There's some motivation for you. I ran the 'middle' 8 at a higher tempo and was definitely done when I hit 20. This run made me pretty excited for fall marathon training (focus on the positive, not the fact that someone left the TV on 'Sprouts' for 2 hours and didn't give me the remote).  Oh, and the Jayhawk rocked his 5k.
Planned: 20 miles  Actual: 20 miles (8:46/mile pace)
All by myself.
Sunday: Back outside. Initially I wasn't sure what to expect from this run.  I felt tired when I started, but not achy, sore, or anything like that. Turned into a nice negative split run and finished strong. There is hope!
Planned: 8 miles  Actual: 7.7 miles (8:36/mile pace)

Because we all knew I would probably starting thinking about this once the 50k bug caught me, here is an article from Trail Runner Magazine about Training for your first 50 miler. This should surprise no one that I am thinking about one.

How was your week? How do you get through treadmill runs?

18 comments:

  1. Awesome runs this week girl! I did 20 on the treadmill once, it was crazy hard! I think it was mostly just mentally tough, like you said.
    I could NOT have done it watching Sprout though. You really are tough! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! It's all mental. It can get so boring. I was totally making up stories about the other people in the gym in my head.

      I had never seen Sprout before and I had no idea what I was in for.

      Delete
  2. 20 miles on a treadmill while watching Sprout? I would have died of boredom after 30 minutes. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Who created Sprout and thought it was a good idea? I had never seen it before. I think I've seen enough though.

      Delete
  3. Vacuuming is training? I am in trouble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I count it! It's a lot of work. The Monster sheds like the Dickens.

      Delete
  4. I don't know how you ran 20 miles on a treadmill. That takes some serious mental fortitude. Congrats for doing what you had to do to finish! My key for treadmill runs is good music and watching a TV show I'm interested in (usually with subtitles). I also find that switching up my pace every so often keeps me from getting bored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The key is not to think about the fact that you are running 20 miles on the treadmill, or you will never actually go to the gym. I was definitely dragging my heels heading out. A good playlist always helps and a little people watching isn't bad either. Switching pace and planning my water sips also helps.

      Delete
  5. Good job on the 20 miler! Of course I do pretty much all my training on my treadmill. What works for me is podcasts, and there are a lot of them! I have a list of some of my faves (including ultra and trail ones) on my blog here http://readeatwriterun.com/2014/04/podcasts/ Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I need to try out podcasts. I find that a good beat on songs helps, but a good podcast might help me zone out too.

      Delete
  6. Wow. I don't have the mental endurance to run more than about 5 on a treadmill so I am so inspired by you being able to be on a treadmill for that long. That is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby. The mental part is big, but it really makes other runs so much more interesting!

      Delete
  7. Haha I love how you used vacuuming as cross training- it's totally a workout! I can't even run a mile on the treadmill so I'm super impressed by your 20!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vacuuming is hard work! Lugging that thing around and trying to capture all the dog hair?!
      The treadmill is a necessary evil.

      Delete
  8. Omg, 20 miles on the treadmill is like 100 miles outdoors lol and then you did an awesome run on Sunday! That's exciting ;) I can hardly sty on a treadmill for a 10K. I can't get over your mileage for the week. Are you feeling hungrier these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you ask that Karen. The Jayhawk has said several times that he can't afford to feed me anymore. I've always been a good eater, but I definitely don't miss meals these days! :)

      Delete
  9. holy shit 20 miles on the treadmill. AMAZING. 10 last week on there nearly did me in. And so impressed with the mileage- not sure the higher stuff is suiting me right now. Excited to see what you do with this 50K!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I'm getting pretty nervous about the big day. Fingers crossed on the weather. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...