Monday, August 25, 2014

50k Training Week 15: 8/18-8/24

Last recap before race day! Since I usually post my training recaps on Monday morning, week 16 won't pop-up until after race day. Try to contain your excitement.

Monday: Rested with some light yoga and stretching.
Planned: Rest   Actual: Rest
Tuesday: It felt really weird to only run 4 miles. For some reason, I get impatient in shorter runs because I feel like they should be over faster.
Planned: 4 miles  Actual: 4 miles (8:39/mile pace)

Wednesday: It was one of those days where I didn't feel like running, but I got in 5.  Why do those days always seem to happen more during taper? I'm probably just looking forward to race day too much!
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 5 miles (8:42/mile pace)
Thursday: When I ran with the Jayhawk last Saturday, his shoe came untied at least 4 times.  No joke. 4 times in 7 miles. I found it kind of nuts! So when I was contacted by the friendly folks at Lace Locker this week asking if I wanted to try/review their product, I jumped on it.  The Jayhawk doesn't double knot his laces because it puts a weird and uncomfortable pressure point on his foot, so the lace locker looked like the perfect solution. Anyways, it arrived today and he tried it out on his run: 3.5 mile no shoe tying stops! It might save our running dates.
Planned: 4 miles  Actual: 5 miles (8:44/mile pace)
Note: the Jayhawk rocks the black lace locker, but I didn't catch a pic. (Source)
Friday: We had a pretty hot weekend here with high humidity, so it really started to freak me out in terms of race day weather. I've been readjusting my goals and race plan to accommodate high heat, and trying to mentally be ready for it. Oh, and stalking the weather report of course.
Planned: Rest   Actual: Rest
Saturday: Joined a friend from work on her group run. Their whole gang is training for the Savannah Rock n' Roll half together. It was nice to get in some miles in a totally different area and to meet some new faces. Plus, they start/finish at a coffee shop so what could be better?!
Planned: 10 miles  Actual: 8 miles (10:00/mile pace)

Sunday: Took it easy on the treadmill.  The Jayhawk knocked out 8 in the humidity (his longest run ever) and declared that the Lace Lockers are awesome because he didn't have to stop once. Success!
Planned: 4 miles  Actual: 5 miles (8:41/mile pace)

How was your week? Any good racing stories to share?

10 comments:

  1. Good luck with the rest of your taper! Sounds like it's going well so far. And I'm glad you're preparing for whatever weather you might encounter. Fingers crossed that it cools down for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! The only goal is to finish and I just keep reminding myself of that!

      Delete
  2. Try not to worry too much about the weather. I know you'll have fun running your first 50K!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Tina! Just get to the finish line!

      Delete
  3. This weekend was horrible. Hoping race weekend will have a bit better weather for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really brutal this last weekend. Thanks Abby!

      Delete
  4. First of all those lace lockers seem darn smart! And for Yoga do you go to a studio or at home? I have been adding it to my routine slowly, but as a guy definitely feel odd going to a yoga studio at the moment. So been doing some off YouTube and hoping for the best lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they?! Perfect option for the Jayhawk. I do yoga at home. Not adventurous enough to show my sad attempts in public yet. I use the Athlete's Guide to yoga and videos off the internet as guides and then proceed to flop around the living room floor.

      Delete
  5. I like the lace lockers solution :) I am a double knotter though...always. Taper time is kind of exciting?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lace lockers worked perfect. I'm a big double knotter too! Taper is exciting, but weird. The reduced volume is a little boring, but it's leading to big volume! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...