Friday, August 1, 2014

July Recap

Miles: 141.45 (silly recovery days)
Races: Keeping with tradition (or at least what I did in June), I wore the same outfit to both races.
Peachtree Road Race

Troop Trot 39k
As long as I finish the 50k with a smile, I will be satisfied.

Highpoint: Ok, so this was pretty cool. If you ever have a chance to hear Meb speak, go.  He is funny, inspiring, and really down to earth.

Not so Highpoint: I got into a bit of a funk after the Troop Trot. I think it was a combination of being tired, needing rest, and being stressed out at work. Mentally I just wasn't there and I needed a break. I am happy to say that I have overcome said funk and am feeling re-energized and refocused for the last month of training. Oh my god, it's only a month to go.
A change in scenery always helps get my mojo back.
What I'm looking forward to in August: Umm, just the longest race of my life. I currently alternate between excitement and mild freaking out about race day (I still haven't bought new trail shoes).  I am really beginning to think that the heat and the humidity will be a bigger challenge than the miles themselves (not that I am shortchanging the 30+ miles). A majority of my success on race day is going to comedown to fluid and fuel management.

On that same note, the Snakebite race director posted the final course. They had to make some changes this year as some of the land around the park that was used last year was purchase by a certain movie producer who didn't want trail runners on his land. So instead of an out and back, it will be a triple loop similar to Troop Trot (that practice race is paying off in more ways). The course will "have a little bit of everything-creek crossings, abandoned jeep roads, and bush whacking to keep you honest."  Each loop is 11.1 miles with an aid station at the start and mid-way point. For you math majors out there, you are right. Three times 11.1 is more than 50k (actually a 55k), but I had already been mentally planning for it to be a bit long as I know the course had bonus mileage last year.

How did your July turn out? What's up for August?

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better after burning out a bit. Sounds like you did just what you needed to get back into the groove. Good luck with the ultra--I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes! My plans for August: train for a marathon and maybe register for it if my training goes well. :) Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! Sounds like you have an exciting August. The marathon you are targeting looks awesome. Happy Friday to you!

      Delete
  2. It is exciting that you are only a few weeks away from your 50K. Glad to hear you are out of your little run funk and ready to conquer the race at the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm nervous now! I'm not even in taper and I am worrying about my training volume!

      Delete
  3. oh yeah it was definitely 33+ miles last year! Jason would not want to shortchange anyone. haha. glad TT worked out perfectly as a training run! that second loop will getcha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I do enjoy that Jason likes to make sure we get our money's worth!

      Delete
  4. I think we all go through those funks once in awhile. It always feels so good to hit the reset. I can't wait to see how the ultra goes :) You have trained and prepared well! Great mileage this past month. Just say no to bloody toes...go get those shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Karen. I find with long training cycles, at some point I'm going to have a lull. New shoes have been purchased!

      Delete
  5. Cannot wait to virtually cheer you on for this race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! The Jayhawk is volunteering at the race, so maybe I can talk him into providing periodic updates.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...