Monday, September 15, 2014

Chickamauga Marathon Training Week #1

First off, huge Thank You to everyone for the kind encouragement, support, and words of wisdom regarding Snakebite.  As someone who trains solo almost all of the time, I really appreciate all your comments and can't thank you enough!!
Yes, the sign indicating Beer was bigger than Start/Finish. Priorities.
After the Snakebite, I took off 5 days with no workouts, just some light yoga and stretching. I started running on Saturday (day 6 post 50k) with a slow 9 miler. This week I started working out more regularly, alternating days with no real plan.  To be honest, I was so busy at work, I didn't have time to workout everyday and it's probably for the best. Having a transition week back into regular workouts was probably smart and not something I would have been as good at if I wasn't so busy.

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 4 miles easy (8:51/mile pace)

Wednesday: Speedwork 10x20 second hill sprints

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Cycling

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: 5 miles easy (8:54/mile pace)
I've put together a training plan for the next 8 weeks to get ready for Chickamauga Marathon. I still plan on taking it easy (pace-wise) for the next week but upping my mileage as my body allows (i.e. I probably won't hit all of my planned distances). Goals for the race will depend on how my body responds to training and how comfortable I feel by race day.  It's such a pretty race, I'm not worried about enjoying it as a training race.
My very flexible marathon plan.
How quickly do you ease back into running after a big event? 

12 comments:

  1. I clicked the link to check out that marathon - it looks so beautiful! I wish I could run with with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely. I ran it last year and really liked it. Running between the Civil War monuments is pretty cool (even if I'm a Yankee). :)

      Delete
  2. I am glad you are feeling well after the Snakebite- very impressive :) Rest and easing into was probably really good for you. Sounds like you have a great next event planned :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I was sore and did have some toenail issues, but it mostly cleared up in my 5 days off.

      Delete
  3. I believe you had a PR at last year's Chickamauga Marathon, can't wait to see how you do this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! Great memory, Speedypants. We will see how training goes before setting too many goals for the race, but I do enjoy the course!

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine training for a marathon right after what you just did! I need your motivation!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, there is a thin line between motivation and bad planning. When I signed up, I convinced myself I would still be in shape from the 50k and that it would prep me for a marathon. Not sure I fully thought through the whole idea (or the time table involved), but I do really enjoy this course. It may not be my fastest marathon, but I still need some more practice at the distance. :)

      Delete
  5. At first, I thought, "Wow, she ran 9 miles a week after a big race?" and then I realized that 9 miles are probably nothing to you with all of the mileage you were doing for your ultra. ;) It's great that you have a plan for your next race to make sure you don't get the post-race blues. How quickly I get back depends on how hard I ran the race--if it's all out, I usually wait at least a week and then only run for 30-45 mins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran with a friend and it was much slower than my normal 9 mile pace. I knew if I ran alone I might not be so good at going slow. I really played it by feel for the first week.

      Delete
  6. multiple post comments: i haven't needed a recovery plan in a long time, so that link was a good tip! I'm with you on the pumpkin and fall- gonna be baking this weekend!! and, looks like our schedule is similar in october...maybe we can get a run in??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall baking is the best. I always get homesick for fall activities this time of year. I hope I can keep up with you! You are so speedy and I have definitely not be training for speed! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...