Friday, September 12, 2014

Friday Five: Thing to do during Recovery

1. Hang out with this lady. Mia Monster might just be the best creature at recovery ever.  Seriously.  The girl's special skills include napping for 18-20 hours, eating, light walking, and getting her tummy rubbed (AKA soft tissue massage).  This doesn't even mention her stretching skills.  Her downward dog is unrivaled.  She is my recovery idol.
Leave me alone. I've only slept 12 hours today. I'm swamped.
2. Utilize my finisher's spoils. I mean, who really needs another medal?

3. Read this. Great (and timely) article from iRunFar about respecting recovery. It's written specifically for ultrarunners, but I think most of the lessons apply to recovery from all distances. I've been trying my best to abide by them and respect them in terms of planning for future endeavors.

4. Eat and cook. You have to refuel, right? I made pumpkin ravioli this week. One pumpkin beer and all I can do think Fall thoughts. I'm trying to talk the Jayhawk into making his apple pie (it's killer) and am contemplating a batch of pumpkin chocolate chip cookies this weekend. I love fall. Now if it would only start feeling like it.

5. Plot future running adventures. With the high of Snakebite and the decrease in running, I've had some free time to come up with ideas for the future. Up first is the Chickamauga Marathon in November. I've got a few ideas for winter, I'm just hammering out the details.

What are you favorite recovery activities?

18 comments:

  1. You are welcome to come run a race in Chicagoland with me any time you want, if you're looking for races. ;) I would love to have Mia's life. I could be good at getting belly rubs... I'm glad you're still drinking out of your finisher's glass--it's too great not to. My favorite recovery activities: eating, napping, and recovery yoga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to race sometime in Chicago! The Jayhawk loves Chicago so it should be easy to convince him to head up there at somepoint. We just have to find the time!

      Mia has the best life.

      Delete
  2. Pumpkin ravioli sounds amazing! The biggest thing I miss being gluten-free is real pasta. You've inspired me to see if I can find a recipe for gluten-free raviolis...maybe this will be a kitchen experiment weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda! Hmm, I bet there is a gluten-free homemade pasta recipe out there. Probably uses chickpea flour or something. Good luck on the recipe hunting!

      Delete
  3. If it's a race that I've been training specifically towards for months on end I'll generally take a week break from running after it, and slowly spend another week getting back into easy training.

    Oh, and ice cream ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on the two week back to full running plan and I think the break was really worth it and needed.

      Ice cream is a must, especially in the summer. :)

      Delete
  4. Is it time for pumpkin everything again? It still doesn't feel Fall enough for me yet. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is in no way fall enough yet here either, but one pumpkin beer and it's all I can think about. If I waited for the weather to change, pumpkin beer would be off the shelves before it was cool enough here!

      Delete
  5. Mmmm. Pumpkin ravioli. Looks delish. And great tip to use your glass! Hope you're doing well! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jesica! Hope all is well with you! Your vacation looked amazing.

      Delete
  6. Ice bath, and lot's of walking, playing with the tot, and beer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy. Ravioli sounds great.
    I would also add - watch lots of netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, good call Abby. Vegging out is important!

      Delete
  8. Pumpkin ravioli = yum!!! Enjoy your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I frozen a ton, so hopefully we don't get too tired of it. :)

      Delete
  9. Everything pumpkin is so yummy :) Mia looks very lovable. I think I need to run to earn the right to recover right by running, right? lol I am working on it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia is quite loveable and she knows it. Always trying to work the crowd. The weather should be changing soon (so I've heard) and that should help get you back in it! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...