Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 Recap

2014 was a great running year! With races spanning from 5ks to a 50k and a little of everything in between, I managed to hit all of my goals for the year and had a great time in the process. Let's take a look back at the highlights.
How in heavens name did I run so many 5ks?? They are my least favorite!

January: A month of marathon training and one very memorable 5k. I set a new PR for the 5k while consuming a box of donuts. Currently contemplating trying to break this PR. Donut training is going well.
If you only knew how much glaze was on my mittens/sleeves/face.
February: I got to experience all thing DONNA! I ventured down to Jacksonville for a fun and pink filled weekend at 26.2 with DONNA. It was so much fun, I'm doing it again in 2015.
 
March: I went on vacation! My job restricts when I can take breaks and I usually work through the holidays etc. It always makes me enjoy it that much more when I escape. We headed to the DR for a friend's wedding and I accidently took a chunk out of my foot while frolicking on the beach, but I found a way to enjoy the Georgia Publix Half Marathon anyway.
April: Had an awesome time on Team Electrolit at Ragnar Trails Atlanta. It was fun to meet to meet all the ladies and dominate the women's division.
Everybody let's jump, jump.
May: I ran a 5k, mainly because it was at a brewery we like. I still don't like 5ks, but beer makes them much more enjoyable. I also officially started 50k training.
June: A busy month involving travel for work and family visit. I was able to race on both trips and they were both very memorable (one unexpected PR and one stunning course). We also managed to hit 5 breweries between the two trips. In all, an excellent month.
July: Enjoyed the Atlanta heat with two races: The ever popular Peachtree Road Race and my longest trail run to date, the Troop Trot 39k where I learned that I needed new trail shoes. Oh, and I met Meb!
August: Only one race in August, but it was my longest. Had a wonderful time running my first ultra, learned a lot, and am very excited to run another!

September: A month of recovery, recovery, and more recovery.
October: No races but I did get in a nice long bike ride (which I failed to recap), visited a new state, and wore a whole lot of pink. Oh, and I turned 33!
November: My return to racing since the 50k. Two races in 36 hours, both with fun results. It's good to be back.

December: I didn't run any races, but I thoroughly enjoyed volunteering at one. Always good to help out and be on the other side of the water stop once in a while. The month consisted of catching up with lots of running friends, and an unplanned rest period.

Goals:
When I developed my 2014 goals, I wanted them to be challenging and it to be a stretch to complete all of them. Without a PR-able half marathon on my schedule (I ran 3 hilly ones), I thought it was the long shot on the list. When I unexpectedly achieved that goal in June, my competitive fire was lit. By the time November rolled around, I'll be honest, I was tired but I still wanted to make a good effort at the sub 4. With all the training I'd done all summer for the 50k, I knew there was a shot I could still break 4 just from the endurance training. I was more than a little shocked with the result of the marathon, both with my time but also because it checked off my last goal for the year. Now to figure out what challenges I can create for myself next year.
4 for 4. A pretty awesome year.
 
How was your 2014? Do you enjoy reflecting on your year?

26 comments:

  1. What a great year! Congratulations on all you accomplished! I hope next year is even better for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hope you have a great 2015 too!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on a great year and a great recap! I thought about doing the donut race a couple of years ago, sounds like you had a great time. Here's to crushing 2015 as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The donut race was a lot of fun and it' was actually pretty challenging! Bring on 2015!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on achieving so many great running goals! Getting PR's and running your first ultra is something to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina and congrats to you on both of your ultras! You had a great 2014. On to 2015!

      Delete
  4. What a fun look back over the year! Nice job! I can't wait to see what 2015 holds for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! You had some great moments in 2014! Best of luck in 2015!!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on a great year! I'm looking forward to see what is in store for your 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope 2015 is awesome for you too!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on achieving all four of these challenging goals! Best wishes for 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank! Congrats on your first half marathon in 2014. I'm excited to see what you have in store for 2015!

      Delete
  7. Way to go on meeting all 4 of your goals. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! You had a great finish to 2014! I'm exciting to see what you do in 2015!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on meeting all your goals! That's really cool that you were able to succeed in distance and speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! It was a big confidence boost to hit them all. Hope you have a great 2015!

      Delete
  9. You did amazing this year:) Congrats to you on your ultras and PR marathon especially! Cheers to a great 2015 for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! You had a pretty great 2014 as well. Best of luck in the New Year! :)

      Delete
  10. Congrats on a great 2014. Still love that Yeti glass lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard! And congrats to you and the Mrs. on a great year!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on hitting those goals. Pretty awesome. I just started running in 2014 and ran about 650 miles in training. Ran two halfs and one 5K.
    I love Krispy Kreme donuts and I am glad there is not a store near where we live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! Sounds like you had a fabulous first year of running! Congrats!

      Delete
  12. Your goals were really intense and it is so impressive that you met all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! I've tried to make them a little less intense for the coming year. Congrats on your 2014 and your first full!

      Delete
  13. you had a killer year!! woohoo!!! i feel like mine was pretty similar...can't ask for much more but hoping 2015 is just as fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! You had an awesome one too! Maybe something was in the air in Atlanta last year. Here's to making 2015 just as wonderful!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...