Monday, December 15, 2014

26.2 with DONNA Training Week 3

Monday: My legs were a bit tired from Sunday. No major aches or pains, just tired. But I got some awesome mail, so I was motivated.
Planned: XT  Actual: 8.85 miles biking

Tuesday: Oh, look, this pace feels nice.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 6 miles (8:43/mile pace)

Wednesday: Felt really good again today.
Planned: 8 miles  Actual: 8 miles (8:43/mile pace)

Thursday: Is it Groundhog Day, because I can only seem to run one pace these days.
Planned: 4 miles  Actual: 4 miles (8:44/mile pace)

Friday: I didn't run, but I wouldn't say I rested. I met up with the DONNA crew for the Galloway VIP party (not sure how we got on the list for this one). I was lucky enough to meet both Bill Rogers and Bart Yasso, who is amused by southern accents. Fun fact: Bill Rogers and Jeff Galloway were on the same running team in college at a tiny school in New England. Talk about a powerhouse. Second Fun fact: My Brother went to the same college, but he was a hockey player.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest
 The DONNA Ambassadors: Marcia, Katie, and some girl you rarely see without her running clothes.
Boston Billy Rogers, Jeff Galloway, and Bart Yasso. 
Saturday: Ever have one of those days where you sleep horribly and wake up sore and achy? I did. My legs were so sore when I woke up, I couldn't imagine forcing them into a 20 miler. When I set up my training plan for this cycle, I put in three 20 milers knowing well that one of them probably wouldn't happen and this was the one. After quickly ramping up the miles after Chickamauga I knew that this one could get the ax.
Planned: 20 miles  Actual: Lots of rolling.

Sunday: Spent the morning cheering along the runners at the inaugural Galloway 13.1. 26.2 with DONNA sponsored a dance party water stop and though we were small in number, we were big in spirit! It was a very chilly morning for cheering (34 at the start) and I nearly lost a few fingers due to the cold, but I did see Frank who was cruising through his first half marathon! All apologies Frank if I screamed at you cheered too loudly. The music was a bit loud at our stop. :) You looked strong when you came by and I'm looking forward to reading your recap! Also, huge THANK YOU to all the Ladies who came out to help! Atlanta runners are the best!
Myself, Jen, and Katie. FYI, Katie plays a mean air guitar. We took our cheering seriously.
Cheering and volunteering was so inspiring (or maybe it was all the donuts and coffee we drank?), that after I returned home and thawed out, I headed out for my own miles. I decided to mix up my normal route (Emory area) and head down to the location of our water stop and Piedmont park. It was a perfect day for a run, but I quickly remembered why I don't usually run this direction: many long, slow hills. I swear I tried to slow my pace down, but apparently I only run one pace these days (see all paces for the week). This was by far one of the harder workouts I've done lately and I was very pleased with how it turned out.

Piedmont Park is in the heart of Atlanta.
Planned: 4 miles  Actual: 15.25 miles (8:40/mile pace)
All in all, another good week. I am happy that I listened to my body and it worked out for a good long run, but I still need to work on pacing. I had a blast volunteering with all the wonderful ladies at the Galloway race and encourage you all to volunteer once in awhile. Bring friends, it's much more fun that way!

How was your week? Do like volunteering at races?

8 comments:

  1. It was great seeing you in person at Highland and Virginia! No apologies needed, the music and the cheering really pumped me up! This evening I hope to finish my account of yesterday's race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you too. Great job on the race!

      Delete
  2. So cool that you got to meet Bart and Bill! I've never volunteered at a race but I want to soon. I've cheered on the sidelines and it is a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really cool to meet them. I tried not to geek out because it seemed like everyone else already knew them. :)

      Delete
  3. Great week of training! It's been a long time since I volunteered for anything, it's time soon :) How cool you got the VIP invite! I like your cute pink hats :) I like how your long run on hills was speedier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what is going on with my pacing at all lately! I'm making an effort to slow down this week and give my legs a little break! :)

      Delete
  4. i was so sad to miss the volunteering- i love getting to volunteer- especially at the kilometer kids events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should get the group together for volunteering sometime! It would be a good way to see all the ladies.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...